58 Deluxe Hornet..Got it!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have a chance to get this 58ish Schwinn Deluxe Hornet from original owner. Has all the goodies, tank, fender light, front springer etc.
I really dont want to over pay on this as funds are low. While I have not yet seen it in person, looks like a good cleaning and some new tires and she will be good to go.
So what would be a reasonable , yet good price to get this bike for?? What would you pay?
Thanks for any info

(Depending on Condition) I always look at bikes as parts ,the tank at least 125
springer 100 Delta Rocket Ray 110 Hopes this helps ?

~RafaeL~

I wouldn't even hesitate at 300$; it's a nice bike. '57 or early '58 because of the seat. Not as valuable as earlier Hornets because this would be a middleweight, but still a great bike and dressed in an unusual color scheme.

I could be mistaken, but wouldn't a '58 fork have a rear offset suspension pivot? Judging by the (flat) tires looks like S-7 rims, if original, which they look like. I'd call it a 2-250 dollar bike, although 50 worth of rubber and a good solid day's worth of elbow grease, or take it apart and sell it by mail, add a Franklin or 2.

I could be mistaken, but wouldn't a '58 fork have a rear offset suspension pivot? .

'55 is when the new style fork came out. I have a '55 Phantom with that style fork. They still sold the old style until they ran out since the old style could have a lock and the new ones didn't. Gary

It looks like the same on my 56 it doesn't have a lock on the fork

Last edited:
I was guessing at the 58 because the owner said it was a 58 or 59 and judging from the chain guard , I was thinking 58....once I get it ( and you guys have convinced me that I should!!!! ) I will post better photos and serial #....Thanks once again to all the helpful people at RRB :)

Thanks for all the help from fellow forum members....I picked up the bike yesterday....Got it for $250....thats a little out of my comfort zone as I have never paid more than $150 for a bike. But this one is complete and original owner...the paint is in great shape...from brochures I think the color is called Opolesent ? Red...have not seen this color before...is it rare??? should polish up real nice..will post when cleaned up

Congatulations on your Big Buy! You Lucky Dog.
You did well for all the reasons that you mentioned.
Even though you stepped out of your comfort zone, you'll be really glad you did.
Opalescent red is a great color and you'll get the pleasure of reviving a complete, original 50+ year old classic.
It would be a neat idea to see if the original owner has any pics of himself with the bike from the day and maybe get some new ones with him after you refresh the Schwinn too.

Great buy. Even though $250 was a little out of your comfort range, just go down to the LBS and you see if you can buy that much coolness for the price. Have fun!

Yeah, you done good. I'm a cheapskate too and I would have hopped on the 250$ train without hesitating.

If it makes you feel any better.. I've paid over 250$ for a part before.. OKAY MORE THAN ONCE.

Latest posts

Back