50’s Columbia 5 star

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a call from a local antique dealer that had somebody trying to sell them an “old bike” but she isn’t open for business and isn’t buying anything right now because of the Covid thing. I kinda know the guy that had it, so I called him and he told me had an old Columbia tank bike and that he needed to move some stuff, so he’d take $50 for it. I agreed to it sought unseen and met him this afternoon. It is weathered, but all there and in decent shape. It has a light coat of surface rust, but you can still tell if was a red bike.

I have another one that is practically the same bike, but it’s rougher than this one, and I paid $50 for it nearly 10 years ago.

E1BF6F5F-6DE1-423E-A9FD-9043A3969584.jpeg

Last edited:
I threw some cream Duro tires on it and cleaned it up. It’s actually a great rider. The rims run true and smooth.

I took a pic of it with my other 5 star.

89706824-AC8A-455A-BC30-60D0432E0CD2.jpeg
92E34362-69C4-4CBF-B152-93610944287A.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice complete bikes! I like how the chain guard hasn't ever been scraped by the cranks. I never get any good $50 deals! :envy:

I have the lists if you need to know what year they are.

Nice complete bikes! I like how the chain guard hasn't ever been scraped by the cranks. I never get any good $50 deals! :envy:

Yeah, these days deals like that don’t come around too much. I doubt without the current Covid situation I would have got this one at that price. I know where there is a fairly nice late (Probably 60’s) Rollfast middleweight bike that I can get from another guy for $150. It’s green with the double stripe fenders and white headstock. I’m not sure how good of a deal that is, or if he’d take less.

I’ve got to decide what I want to do with these Columbias now. My B-6 is the only bike I’ve ever attempted to do a full restoration on, and it’s still in prices and unfinished after all these years, so I’ve refrained from tearing another down. All my other bikes are either left as is in barnfind or ratty condition, just cleaned up and made into riders, or modified if they are less desirable bikes. I would love to restore one of these Columbia’s correctly, as this particular style is one of my favorite bikes ever. I love the frame shape, tank, and chainguard on these. As it is now, I’ll continue to ride this nicer one occasionally and probably the other one continue to collect dust while I ponder for a couple of more decades!

BTW, I’ll get the serial numbers and let you decode them for me, if you don’t mind.

Latest posts

Back