48 Dually

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, Thought I'd send some pics of my old "Rat Inspired" now turned "Rat Truck Trike" (say that three times fast :lol: ). It's probably the closest thing to a real rat truck I'll ever own. It's funny how sometimes things fall into place when you start to build something. Originally, when I put the trike kit on, I had planned on building a wooden flat bed on the back. But then I got the idea of putting a radio flyer wagon on instead. The regular sized wagons were too big, and I just happened to find a wagon trailer on clearance online that was two thirds the size of the regular wagon. It was perfect! After that I stumbled upon a set of motorcycle handlebars that when mounted reminded me of a bird in flight. I liked the look. Then, while looking through old truck pics online, I found a 1948 F-1 Ford Dually that I thought closely resembled the style of the bike. So I bought a plate and that is how it got it's name. She's lots of fun to ride, way comfortable and a great beer hauler! People often ask me why it doesn't have an engine. I tell them that as long as my tank is filled up with beer, the engine runs fine! :lol: Tell me what you think.

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00241.jpg

DSC00242.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

thats a cool trike i want to build sometime a really fancy trike like that someday you did fantastic job on it i love it and also it would be even cooler with a headlight on the front :D

dang!
siiiiiick!
dang!

WOW, made my night checking out the pics. The tank flows so nicely with the frame and the bars are just right. Color scheme and those wide butt wheels with traditional WWW and red rims. ooooooooo baby! Now you gotta build a taer drop trailer for it bring your dog with you, LOL!

Props to a well executed build!

Joe 8)

without a doubt, one of my favorite bikes on this site! just cruising this site inspires me to go back out to the garage, but seeing this trike truley takes te cake! great work!
Rat Rod said:
Wow...that's poster material right there.

Love everything about this one....wreaks of Hot Rod. :D

i'd buy that poster!! :mrgreen:

big AL said:
Hello everyone, Thought I'd send some pics of my old "Rat Inspired" now turned "Rat Truck Trike" (say that three times fast :lol: ). It's probably the closest thing to a real rat truck I'll ever own. It's funny how sometimes things fall into place when you start to build something. Originally, when I put the trike kit on, I had planned on building a wooden flat bed on the back. But then I got the idea of putting a radio flyer wagon on instead. The regular sized wagons were too big, and I just happened to find a wagon trailer on clearance online that was two thirds the size of the regular wagon. It was perfect! After that I stumbled upon a set of motorcycle handlebars that when mounted reminded me of a bird in flight. I liked the look. Then, while looking through old truck pics online, I found a 1948 F-1 Ford Dually that I thought closely resembled the style of the bike. So I bought a plate and that is how it got it's name. She's lots of fun to ride, way comfortable and a great beer hauler! People often ask me why it doesn't have an engine. I tell them that as long as my tank is filled up with beer, the engine runs fine! :lol: Tell me what you think.

Photos snipped for space savings..

Big Al,
Where did you "stumble" onto those bars? They are they stuff! :mrgreen:
Very nice overall... Love the wagon part.
I agree - poster material.

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

OMG i don't believe it.... i was surfing the net this past week (at work,...pls don't tell my boss) and i happen to be looking at radio flyers and the thought popped into my head, " perhaps that would work on the rear of my trike.... ermmm but then my trike's blue and the wagons red.... aw fergit it...."

then i come here and see this!!!! all i can say is, it really works so well together, the wagon and your trike with them matching red rims really make it look like it came that way.... i'm jealous!!

nice work dude! really nice!!!!! makes me wanna change the colour of my trike now! hahaha

btw, do radio flyers come in baby blue? :lol: :lol:

wow thats so cool. what paint job is that. ive been wanting to go for that look on my stretch. it looks amazing.

great job

Hey, it's my first chance to get back and check the thread. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Yes on the lights! I've been thinking about that. I'm looking for an old headlight and when I find one I will add it on.

The wheels are from the Choppers US website. I handpainted them myself with rustoleum out of a spray can.

I may still add the pipes.

A teardrop trailer is in the works. I've been dreaming of making a teardrop trailer for one of my bikes for a long time. I think I'll make a true trailer hitch for the trike.

The paint on the frame and tank is a textured paint out of a can from Home Depot that is made for outdoor furniture. I sprayed on a base coat of creamy yellow first, then the brown textured coat, and added a little bit of red primer from a distance.

I picked the bars up at a local harley shop, but you can find some like them at J P Cycles. (1 inch non dimpled)

Ohchusan - It was your trike that inspired me to turn my bike into a trike. Thanks for the inspiration! Go to redwagon.com and look for the wagon trailer - they did have it on sale at a good price. It's the only one that will fit. It already comes with the wood sides. You could paint it baby blue and it would look real nice. It might also help stiffen up your rear end if you can find a way to attach it to your frame like I did.

Thanks to everyone for all the nice positive comments! I'm glad you like it!

Latest posts

Back