'40s Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been doing more selling than buying for a while now, but I made an exception today. It would have been my Dad's 67th Birthday and since I grew up with him taking me to auctions, I decided to find a sale in his honor. Settled on one almost four hours away that listed a 1940s Western Flyer. Three hours after I arrived, I was loading this into the car. The old boy is a little crusty (and really dirty), but it's solid and very complete all the way down to the Troxel saddle. No rot to be seen. What really caught my eye, in addition to the curved fender braces and peaked fenders, was the rack. It has what looks like taillights built in that are operated by a switch in the rack. Miraculously the lenses and switch were all intact. Really looking forward to (gently) cleaning this one up.
IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

That is a beauty!
So crusty, but so complete.
I have never seen that tank before.
I do remember seeing the rack discussed before though.
Awesome score.

Love it! You made a awesome choice IMO. Perhaps you could start a build thread and keep us updated on this one or at least post pics when ya get her back to her former glory? I like that one from tire to tire. :D

That is way cool , crusty & compleat . Will you wipe it down with a linseed oil or just leave it the way it is . it's got caricature for sure .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never seen that tank before.
That was the first thing I said!Maybe because its not painted?? Cool bike!!Ill start digging through my books..:21:

That was the first thing I said!Maybe because its not painted?? Cool bike!!Ill start digging through my books..:21:
So far I've discovered it's a CWC built Western Flyer only available in 1941. It's the top of line WF for that year and the only year they used the "tall tank".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back