4-Lowco: Air Ride, 4-link, 3-spd

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 4-Lowco: A newbie's first build

Finished the fabrication on the frame. Pressure tested it and found a couple of pin holes that I need to fill, but this is pretty much it's final state.

DutchFork-20111219-00206.jpg

This is where the air cylinder attaches:

DutchFork-20111219-00204.jpg

I also lengthened this thing (not sure what it's called)... this is the part of the fork inside the head tube:

DutchFork-20111219-00203.jpg

for want of a better term, you can call it the fork tube. will the whole frame hold air or only part of it. have you started on the rear end yet. looks great sooo far.

Outlaw 8)

Everything holds air except for the seat tube and neck. I've been chasing pin holes all day. Right now it takes around 40 mins for it to leak down from 120psi to 50psi, but it has to be perfect since I have no back up plan to the air ride and can't have it leaving me stranded.

I have sent drawings for the rear pivots to be cut on the CNC, but they will not be done until after the holidays. My machinist runs my stuff in his off-time and I try not to rush him. I only get a few parts cut at a time because I'm a broke student and I don't draw the wife's attention if I buy small stuff here and there. The triple trees are done and in the mail, so I should see them any day.

It's taking longer than I anticipated so far, but I think I'm still on schedule. I want it done by march or april, so I still have plenty of time. I still have to find a toddler seat for my wife's bike and get it cleaned up before spring as well.

yep, I hear ya. but as you say ya got time. I am slow to right now on my 3 builds. can't paint as it's too cold so I just slowed down for awhile an since the holidays are here I won't get back to it till after the first of the year. yep, have too keep a low profile with my wife also due to lack of money. oh well thats life. well keep up the great work ya been doing and:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

Outlaw 8)

Those trees came out nice!!!!The build is looking great as well!!!! 8) :mrgreen:

Nice design,dude. I like 'm long'n'low. Wise decission b.t.w.,using 26" wheels instead of 20-ers. What's it gonna be in the back,80 mm rim?

I have no idea on the wheels. I was trying to find some bare hoops to lace to hubs I already have, but quickly found that bicycle tire/wheel sizes are retarded. I have a lot of reading to do before I decide on something.

I wanted to run a Thick Brick whitewall in the rear, and a Quick Brick in the front, but it seems that there is no 26" Thick Brick. I tried to find a 24" rim without much luck. I'm also not sure if I need a spacer or offset on the rear hub for the chain to clear the tire. All of this is completely new to me. I'll figure something out when the time comes.

Lookin' good! I like the frame design and the plan for the 4-bar suspension. It should look great laying frame. 8)

Indychus said:
I have no idea on the wheels. I was trying to find some bare hoops to lace to hubs I already have, but quickly found that bicycle tire/wheel sizes are retarded. I have a lot of reading to do before I decide on something.

I wanted to run a Thick Brick whitewall in the rear, and a Quick Brick in the front, but it seems that there is no 26" Thick Brick. I tried to find a 24" rim without much luck. I'm also not sure if I need a spacer or offset on the rear hub for the chain to clear the tire. All of this is completely new to me. I'll figure something out when the time comes.

I'm not sure about the availability of special rims,in U.S.,but over here in Europe,it's no problem. I used a 26"x80 mm rim in the back,with a 2.35x26 Schwalbe Fat Frank tyre and a 3-speed Nexus coasterhub. Didn't need an off-set sprocket or spacers. There's about 2 or 3 mm clearance between the chain and the tyre. It's not a white-wall by the way.
From what I've heard (from fellow-builders),80 mm is about the max. width you can use without off-set. As long as your tyre isn't wider than that,the chain should stay clear.
Here's a link from a special bikeshop http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... YfA_OPUdHw

I got mine from Germany,but I suppose that's no option for you. Good luck. 8)

B.t.w., I thought my ride was going to be an unridable monstrosity as well,but if you check out my avatar,you'll see that it's not the case. At least, not if you consider length and weight.

Thanks for the info... I'm still a ways off from ordering wheels, but I'll keep that in mind. If 80mm is the widest I can go without offset, then 80mm it is. I considered the fat franks as well, I like the way they look, but could not find a whitewall. I'm not 100% set on the whitewall though, I am going to wait until it's all painted/powdercoated and make a decision then.

Very Nice build, I am also on my first fully custom bike build. I'll send a small preview. I had an idea to do a 4 link bike in the future. I used to work at the shop that built the 4 link harley frames for pro 1. I was just a grunt, but it was cool to see the bikes being built.

If you don't mind, what kind of cost did you have in having those trees built. I want to get some stuff water jetted for my next build.

I have a set of thick bricks mounted on a 24x2.125 on a 26" huffy cranbrook. I will post a picture of that. The chain clears no problem.

Keep up the good work!

BTW my garage is similar to yours. Except I have a 65 c 10

A71A533A.jpg

6FD75E60.jpg

D4A622E7.jpg

Looks good! The C10 is nice too, the 67-72 is my dream truck, but I love the older ones as well.

For CNC work, the shop I use has pricing software that comes up with a price based on number of resets (every time the tool head has to be lifted) and total cut inches, then a flat rate for the material. Those triple trees cost $18 to cut, the brackets for the air cylinder were $12. They are cut on a plasma table, but waterjet work is priced similarly. They also charge design fees, but I have no idea what that costs since I do my own CAD work and just email them a .dwg

Nice. Thanks for the info. The stuff I want to do, I will use the design multiple times, so paying for a design fee isn't too big of a deal. My truck was my grandfathers, he bought brand new. I bought it when I was 14. It is another project. I started at the most important part. I just need to replace a few things, and do the body work and shoot the front clip in primer, then It will be on to the bed/cab. Its only $ right.

From this
100_1468.jpg

To this

IphonePictures081.jpg

Latest posts

Back