BO15 4-4-2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anytime the brakes are used disqualifies it as a real burnout. IMO. But still fun.

I'm checking the timeframe of the build off. If I get to my new home in the next couple weeks, then I have a little over 6 weeks. But my parts will take longer to arrive, maybe not until the end of August. If that's the case and it looks like I won't be able to get this bike done, I'll start with what I can get on hand and build something to ride. I haven't ridden in over two months, no bike! :envy:

That video would be perfect to show the wife when she complains about your bike habit. Tell her you wanted to build a hot rod car anyhow, just like that one!

I made it here! A few days quarantine and I'm home. If I can buy this frame back I'm good.
FB_IMG_1594786645931.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck brother?

That's from the bike I sold before I left in 2017. I found out it isn't a Patria (Philippine made bike) but it is a Sonnet, the other brand of bike that was made in the Philippines. I want the whole bike I sold to a classmate but have no idea if it's even available or it's whereabouts are known. From build off 11, Bo11weevil:

24980_d194120e63328280acf54926b83be2f9.jpg

Last edited:
I originally wanted it back for the SRAM auto rear hub, but the frame will work fine with my plans.
I won't know how the tires would fit those rims and how much wider the whitewall tire is until I try them on. I was limited by what forks I could find but now have a springer. This will have more of an old cruiser feel than a klunker.
sram2.JPG

I am now with bike again. While getting our new home set up, I received word that my 59 DNB folder is returning to me after my 14 day quarantine period is over. It's staying like it was, just for the purpose of riding. I'll probably just change the seat.
ventura2.JPG

More good news. Researching has led me to some promising finds. Someone has put 2 cogs on a Sturmey Archer hub. I wasn't the first to think of it. It is a standard 3 speed while mine is a new 2 speed, but I think the spacing is the same.

"He explains that Sturmey hubs have two shims plus the sprocket, which allows you to tweak the chainline. If you leave out one of the shims you can fit two dished sprockets back to back - which was what he did."

6 speed.jpg

This guy uses a derailler to shift between cogs for 6 speeds.

I'm using a coaster brake so it will be manually shifted. I don't have my parts yet, still in transit, but two of the cogs I do have, 16 and 18 teeth seem to show enough spacing for the chain.

That is awesome that you got the DNB back. It is cool to me that one or my Fresh Finds is rollimg around halfway across the world.

Looks like your hub plans are gonna work well.

@sandman , here you go.

DNB-folding-bike-ad-September-1958.jpg

Haha Kingfish, your Google works too, I found the same DNB ad with an easy ten second search.
Also a little link
http://www.foldingcyclist.com/DNB-Porta-Fold-Cycle.html
Pretty clever stuff.
I think it was a one year only bike because of it's overengineering.

I also noticed on the newer hub shown that it is using a flat cog and a concave and still seems to have plenty of space for the chain. I'll have both concave and facing away so my heavy duty chain should clear it. I'm using the same method to separate the chain wheels but I can add a spacer there with no problem.

Latest posts

Back