-- 3G BIKES NEWPORT BBW REVIEW --

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Yesterday Mr. FedEx dropped of something cool at RRB Headquarters (my house). :rolleyes:

Gary Silva, owner of 3G Bikes sent me one of his newest bikes, the 2015 Newport BBW 8 Speed Cruiser. This beast has to be shipped in two boxes due to the new 80mm wheel set.

As with all of 3G Bikes products, the quality and attention to detail is very nice. Gary focuses pretty heavily on the beach rental market so his bikes are designed to be super comfortable and durable. Everything is geared towards standing up to the harsh environment of salt air. This particular bike has an aluminum frame and fork. Just about everything on the bike is alloy with the exception of the handlebars, brake disks and the chainring. Sealed bearings is another nice feature on this bike. All bearings are sealed including the 100mm bottom bracket, headset bearings and wheel bearings.

Full Bike Specs
  • FRAME: Aluminum - 6061 Heat Treated
  • FORK: Aluminum - 6061 Heat Treated - 1-1/8" Threadless
  • HEADSET: Sealed Headset
  • RIMS 80mm Extra Wide - Checkerboard CNC cutouts
  • SPOKES: Stainless Steel - Coated Black
  • FRONT HUB: KT 36 Hole - Aluminum Hub Shell - Disc Brake
  • REAR HUB: KT 36 Hole - Aluminum Hub Shell W/ Shimano 8 speed freewheel
  • TIRES: 3G Boa-G - 26 x 3.45
  • CRANKSET: Pro Wheel - 3pc Aluminum Crank
  • PEDALS: 9/16 Inch
  • CHAIN: KMC Rustbuster
  • HANDLE BARS: 3G Royal Bars
  • STEM: 120mm Promax - Threadless
  • GRIPS: 3G Ergo Double Desnity Rubber W/ CNC Locking Caps
  • SADDLE: 3G Comfort Saddle
  • SEAT POST: 27.2
  • BRAKE LEVERS: Promax Alloy
  • CHAINGUARD: Aluminum Laser Cut
  • SHIFTER: Shimano Rapid Fire Shifter
  • RETAIL PRICE: $799.00 USD

Now for the eye candy...

fat3gbikescruiser002small.jpg

fat3gbikescruiser001small.jpg

fat3gbikescruiser003small.jpg

fat3gbikescruiser006small.jpg

fat3gbikescruiser005small.jpg

fat3gbikescruiser004small.jpg

fat3gbikescruiser008small.jpg

fat3gbikescruiser010small.jpg

These are large cruisers and can't be truly appreciated until seen in person. I'm 5'9" tall and ride the bike comfortably at the seat height setting that you see in the pics above. People see this bike and usually respond with.... "WHOA....now that's a very cool bike."

Gary is obsessed with frame geometry and wants all of his bikes to be the most comfortable cruisers on the market. The foot forward and upright riding geometry make this Newport the easiest to ride cruiser I've been on. There's a reason 3G cruisers tend to dominate the sales in the shops that they are sold in and it's because of the comfort factor.

Video Walk Around

So if you're in the market for the ultimate cruiser bike, your search can end here. You can visit their website to find a dealer near you or contact them directly at 562-287-8687 Ext 2.

Last edited:
These would be great all around bikes, a mix between a functional cruiser and a fat bike. Not sure I like that tripod frame design but the rest of the bike has nice selection of components.

What happened to his Broadway City bike?

Rat Rod, how easy/difficult was it to assemble this beast? I will be ordering this same model but w/ the 3-speed instead, black on black; from a dealer in Newport, CA. I haven't owned a bike since grade school. I've been drooling over your pics and video for days now. Would love to see a video of this bike being taken around for a spin, ::hint:: Anyways...I'll be posting pics of my beast, hopefully within a couple weeks. Just waiting on that tax return! Thanks for all the eye-candy!:113:

Rat Rod, how easy/difficult was it to assemble this beast? I will be ordering this same model but w/ the 3-speed instead, black on black; from a dealer in Newport, CA. I haven't owned a bike since grade school. I've been drooling over your pics and video for days now. Would love to see a video of this bike being taken around for a spin, ::hint:: Anyways...I'll be posting pics of my beast, hopefully within a couple weeks. Just waiting on that tax return! Thanks for all the eye-candy!:113:

The three speed version is really easy to assemble. You'll basically be installing the pedals, fork, headset, stem and front wheel and that's it. They send the headset on the fork like it should be installed into the frame so make sure you keep that same order when you install it.

This 8 speed version was a little tricker because of the disk brakes. They needed to be fine tuned in order to keep from rubbing on the brake pads.

The three speed version is really easy to assemble. You'll basically be installing the pedals, fork, headset, stem and front wheel and that's it. They send the headset on the fork like it should be installed into the frame so make sure you keep that same order when you install it.

This 8 speed version was a little tricker because of the disk brakes. They needed to be fine tuned in order to keep from rubbing on the brake pads.

Rat Rod, I appreciate the tips & feedback! The info you provided is reassuring. I wish there were more videos of the newer 2015 Newport & other models online. Either way, I'm sold on the 3G's. I'm so glad I did my research & going through these forums helped a lot on deciding what to get. I almost went for a Sun 'Drifter' from my local bike shop.

Cruised the Va Beach boardwalk for 4 hours on my 3 speed Newport Saturday. Man I love this bike. Saw a black/copper BBW go by should have stopped him and asked for a test drive. Will be my next cruiser.

Latest posts

Back