3D printed headbadge first attempt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nothing great, just tinkering with some of my toys at work. Thoughts?
20200129_120539.jpg
20200129_121735.jpg
20200129_121807.jpg
20200129_121819.jpg

I started fiddling with the (VERY basic) CAD program a little more and came up with this, which I will try printing in the next day or two...
higginsbadge2.PNG

I would totally wan't to make those (since a friend of mine has a 3D printer) but I don't know how to make my own projects :(

In my opinion available home printers still neither provide enough resolution for decorative elements nor enough strength for constructive ones, so their application for bikes is still quite limited. But there are for sure cool experiments that could be done with them. I have a printer at school and some experience of prototyping with it, but if you want a really nicely finished part, you'd have to invest so much effort polishing and refining the print result, that it starts to be questionable, won't it worth same effort to produce the piece with a different technic.

In my opinion available home printers still neither provide enough resolution for decorative elements nor enough strength for constructive ones, so their application for bikes is still quite limited. But there are for sure cool experiments that could be done with them. I have a printer at school and some experience of prototyping with it, but if you want a really nicely finished part, you'd have to invest so much effort polishing and refining the print result, that it starts to be questionable, won't it worth same effort to produce the piece with a different technic.

I think you're absolutely right. Every piece I print, especially if it's something I designed and not just a file I downloaded from Thingiverse, makes me feel both excited and disappointed. I'm excited about the technology and the ability to create, but disappointed that the finished product falls just a little short of what I'd like it to be. That said, I still enjoy tinkering with this stuff and I think there's ways to make the surface work with some projects.

Yesterday, I scored a J.C. Higgins cottered crankset for free. COOL chainring on it!

In my town, the library has a 3d printer you can book and take home. I have no need for head badges, but I'll probably be bringing it home for the kids to mess around with. I used to be a graphic designer, perhaps the computer skills will transfer.

As a machinist, I hate to say it, but the three step (scan, plastic prototype, machinist) process is unnecessary. We build 3D printers that print in metals...so it would be just a two step process, scan and print, no machinist needed :doh:.
In my town, the library has a 3d printer you can book and take home. I have no need for head badges, but I'll probably be bringing it home for the kids to mess around with. I used to be a graphic designer, perhaps the computer skills will transfer.
As a former machinist and former CAD designer I can appreciate all this... :( A High school about 90 min drive from me has a fab lab "make anything" night class. Wednesday from 6 to 8 pm for 8 weeks. $125 plus materials. Would be fun if I was closer. :)

Latest posts

Back