37 Schwinn Admiral - Klunker New YST Bottom Bracket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 37 Admiral - Klunker

Took the hub apart and greased it with some good stuff, .... glad I did as it was pretty sparingly greased with some crappy brown stuff that resembled cosmoline more than a real grease. Finished lacing the rear wheel, now just need to cleanup the other tire, they were both pretty dirty sitting around the garage for 8 years or so. Now to find a 5/8" seat clamp out in the garage, might be a rider by this weekend.

IMG_2384_zps0d067cc4.jpg

Like what your doing , Very nice classy bike , yet clean simple and effective ,i could ride this as a everyday bike no problem 8)

OneHorsePower said:
Like what your doing , Very nice classy bike , yet clean simple and effective ,i could ride this as a everyday bike no problem 8)

Thanks! That's the way I like my bikes, might rig up a light for it but that'll be pretty much it.

Got the rear tube/tire mounted and rear triangle set, chainline meaures pretty good. Took a couple of mockup pics, I think that Porkchop chainring looks much better than the drillium.

IMG_2385_zps639131ac.jpg

IMG_2386_zpse25fce33.jpg

WAs going to put the Brooks on but remembered I had this Troxel with crash rail might go for that instead. I've used these Justrite headlamps on bikes before, just need to figure out a good way to rig it to this one.

IMG_2387_zps0b31baaf.jpg

Could rig it like I did on this Elgin, but it was a pain IIRC

IMG_1471.jpg

Looking sharp!
That backdrop looks familiar.

socal_jack said:
OneHorsePower said:

Thanks! That's the way I like my bikes, might rig up a light for it but that'll be pretty much it.

Got the rear tube/tire mounted and rear triangle set, chainline meaures pretty good. Took a couple of mockup pics, I think that Porkchop chainring looks much better than the drillium.

IMG_2385_zps639131ac.jpg

IMG_2386_zpse25fce33.jpg

Great looking bike, I like the tires in these pix!

kingfish254 said:
Looking sharp!
That backdrop looks familiar.

Ice plants in the front yard, well what passes for a yard around here.

The Renaissance Man said:
socal_jack said:
OneHorsePower said:

Great looking bike, I like the tires in these pix!

Thanks, glad I held onto them, I'm pretty much into the 29er MTBs now so they could've easily gotten tossed.

Pretty much a rider now, but ran into a snag on the spindle length as it's only 114mm, had to buy new one online, 127mm should give me ~1/4" on either side

IMG_2388_zpsbab0c764.jpg

Too close for comfort

IMG_2389_zpsa0d53863.jpg

Crap, cleaning up last night realized I laced the 12Ga hub into the rear wheel, spokes very sunk into the flanges, re-laced with correct 14 Ga hub hopefully OK, will keep an eye on the true-ness. Got the new BB in

IMG_2390_zpsdbcc44b6.jpg

perfect klunker. Are you going to do the reenactment photo? (sliding it around a dirt road corner)

old_skool said:
Really nice looking cruiser - 8)

junknutz1975 said:
Looks real tough!

Nice bike! 8)

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
perfect klunker. Are you going to do the reenactment photo? (sliding it around a dirt road corner)

Thanks guys! Trying to figure out a place around here to do a slide shoot, probably do some scouting and prep/practice work this weekend.

cool, looking forward to seeing it.

Just about ready for a shakedown beach cruise, but I think already the Troxel is getting swapped for the Brooks.

IMG_2394_zpsd3be0883.jpg

Did a bit of froadin plus some street but the Troxel is way uncomfortable(goin up for sale soon), got a PM in to slowriderz for a new seatpost 13/16x7/8 to fit my Brooks, tried to make the old seat clamps work but widths and stuff are all wrong.

OneHorsePower said:
This look's geared to pedal up mount everest :mrgreen:

Looks are deceiving, the rear sprocket is only 14T so with 30T chainring gearing is pretty normal

Poured thru my parts stash again and found an old seatpost shim, normally these would go in the seat tube.
IMG_2396_zps8191150b.jpg

Found a clamp they worked with and assembled, I'll be able to try out the Brooks tomorrow.
IMG_2397_zps4b649a44.jpg

Much better, ready for some off road shots after a few cockpit adjustments as the bars need to come down and move forward I think. Time to charge up the GoPro.

IMG_2399_zpsedc38c40.jpg

Re: 37 Schwinn Admiral - Klunker

A couple of short vid sequences of practice skids, need a steeper more off camber turn to really keep it going and get the lean better, dirt is perfect though. Didn't stay out long it was noon and about 100 out with pretty good humidity, monsoon season. Really need a QR for the seatpost, what pain lol. Edit: fixed vid link to correct vid

Everything survived a bit of rock garden action but definitely took some getting used to after riding 29ers the last few years, gearing is a bit tall also. GoPro footage didn't come out for some reason.

IMG_2409_zpsd6c61174.jpg

Latest posts

Back