37 Schwinn Admiral - Klunker New YST Bottom Bracket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

That is very cool idea! I hope you give it a shot!

kingfish254 said:
That is very cool idea! I hope you give it a shot!

Played around with it last night with a 50s set with the threaded piece in back of the leg, but I think you'd need to make a custom set of fork legs to really make it work, otherwise it'll kick the wheel out too far mostly due to the distance between the knuckle mount and the top of the leg.

In other news, the Akisu fork I had pictured with the Good I've had around forever and though it was a 26" -no way- maybe a 24", looking for another chrome fork now.

Since the Akisu turned out to be a 24", I had this 1 1/8" Landing Gear fork laying around to mock up, may get a 1" threaded version. Not much room at the crown for a knobby though and these tires were nearly flat.

IMG_2300_zps738732bf.jpg

Here is something you might consider. Cool build BTW!

http://www.genuinebicycleproducts.com/parts.html

"With this headset, you can run an 1 1/8 NON-Tapered fork in an older bike that normally takes a American Standard 1" threaded headset (32mm). Fits old Schwinns and other American cruiser bikes, some bmx bikes and some older mountain bikes. Made in the USA, 45.00 shipped. Made out of steel, not for weight weenines. http://www.genuinebicycleproducts.com"

Critter1 said:
Here is something you might consider. Cool build BTW!

http://www.genuinebicycleproducts.com/parts.html

"With this headset, you can run an 1 1/8 NON-Tapered fork in an older bike that normally takes a American Standard 1" threaded headset (32mm). Fits old Schwinns and other American cruiser bikes, some bmx bikes and some older mountain bikes. Made in the USA, 45.00 shipped. Made out of steel, not for weight weenines. http://www.genuinebicycleproducts.com"

Thanks! Had already considered that but wanted to use this stem. Besides tire clearance another oddity about the fork is that it necks down past even a 21.1 quill which is why that stem is sitting up so high, you'd have to watch how much steerer tube you cut or no star nut tho I use headlockers. Could go that route at some point but I need to check it with a knobby first, not sure this thing has room.

socal_jack said:
Played around with it last night with a 50s set with the threaded piece in back of the leg, but I think you'd need to make a custom set of fork legs to really make it work, otherwise it'll kick the wheel out too far mostly due to the distance between the knuckle mount and the top of the leg.
did you tested it like the drawing ? using Girvin mount and just changing the legs ..with the legs mounted in the "middle holes" and the suspensions in the "front holes" ? i thought this could work :?

OneHorsePower said:
socal_jack said:
did you tested it like the drawing ? using Girvin mount and just changing the legs ..with the legs mounted in the "middle holes" and the suspensions in the "front holes" ? i thought this could work :?

I tried lining them up from the side, but there is much more curve to the fork legs(at least on the older ones) than what you have depicted.

socal_jack said:
I tried lining them up from the side, but there is much more curve to the fork legs(at least on the older ones) than what you have depicted.
ok thanks, the newer one i had was like the one in the drawing , thought they were all about the same except the lowrider ones

OneHorsePower said:
socal_jack said:
ok thanks, the newer one i had was like the one in the drawing , thought they were all about the same except the lowrider ones

Yeah older ones definitely have a different shape, another big difference is where/how the steering knuckle attaches. In the pic below you can see that thick threaded tab midway down the leg, the old steering knuckles were offset this pushes things out noticeable when trying to mount as your drawing shows. It could be mounted but rideability would suffer.

photo2_zps0fbe09e0.jpg

Anything new happening?

kingfish254 said:
Anything new happening?

Hey man, works been killing me haven't had much time for anything, need to get a chip out by end of August and we're way behind. But just purchased a new rear hub a few minutes ago that may be a better match for the rims and an SA XD70 front hub I had laying around(still not sure that's gonna get used). Also got a 1" version of the landing gear fork. Now need a headset thinking one I saw from Porkchop, and maybe a different chainring not sold on that drillium one. The red Admiral will get done. When the hub comes in will measure up everything for spokes and that's all that's left just assembly after that.

Finally have everything I need to order spokes, just need to make a decision on the front hub. I like my cruisers simple but I've had this SA drum hub laying around for years and these Tomaselli brake levers that came off a friends genuine Cali Klunker. But I like the ability to take the front wheel off easily for transportation. Got a headset and chainring coming in from Porkchop and a long weekend coming up to sort it all out.

IMG_2307_zpse40e50b0.jpg

IMG_2309_zps42053a51.jpg

EDIT: Mounted one of the Tomaselli brake levers, they are huge. Too big and out of scale I think though period correct for Klunkers, you really need a wider motorcycle bar to mnake these work.

IMG_2310_zps51559147.jpg

Re: Major Wood - Klunker

Got the Porkchop delivery, liking the look of his sealed bearing alloy headset, chainring will look much better. Going to relace the front wheel with the QR Shimano hub, looks like I can re-use spokes/nips for that only about 1mm difference in hub flanges. Should have a roller by the weekend though the new rear hub may not get laced in by then, had to RMA the rear hub in the pic above on the left, looks like it had been dropped on cement bending/flattening one of the flanges, new spokes not in yet either.

IMG_1371_zps9e0eeb3d.jpg

Re: Major Wood - Klunker

EDIT: Weird, the badge and fork shot appear upside down on my iphone but right side up on my pc. I've seen that between my iphone and PC before but not after getting to photobucket, and pics were taken from a Canon point and shoot camera, never had that happen.

Cut the fork down and laced the replacement hub in the front wheel, and mounted the new chainring. Still waiting on rear spokes and will need to cold set the rear triangle for 110mm, then go for final mounting of the chainring.

IMG_2342_zps996431af.jpg

Got these Specialized Roller tires on a close-out about 7-8 years ago for cheap but never used pretty close but this bike won't see much real off-road. May try to find something a bit smaller for cheap, these are marked 2.3" but the knobs are pretty tall.

IMG_2343_zps4792ad3d.jpg

IMG_2352_zps6fdbc4e6.jpg

Re: 37 Admiral - Klunker

Nice progress. Love the badge!!!

kingfish254 said:
Nice progress. Love the badge!!!

The badge is definitely nice on this one, has the art deco type scrolling and a nice red inlay. The sun finally came out so I took a natural light pic, even betteras it shows the patina way better

Dug thru the tire pile and found some old WTB Velociraptors 2.1s that look like the old Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo, they're in pretty good shape treadwise and would cleanup well and would work but the front has a slice that while not all the way thru probably will bulge with pressure. Think I'll just stick with the Rollers

IMG_2346_zpse328e3dd.jpg

way awesome :D love the head badge and look of the hole project!!!!!!!!

Troy

jats said:
way awesome :D love the head badge and look of the hole project!!!!!!!!

Troy

Thanks Troy!

The rear spokes came in today, will start rebuilding the rear wheel over the next few days. Then cold set the rear triangle. Gonna use my Brooks from last years bike(which is getting rebuilt as something different, the 29er format wasn't ideal for that fork/frame combo).

Halfway there, although I may take the hub apart and re-grease as it's new, the Nexus 7 will be in the for sale section soon.

IMG_2378_zpsa723fa04.jpg

Latest posts

Back