'37 Elfman Streamline Deluxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, it feels good to see this thing take shape after kicking it around in my head for so long. I'm really hope I can get a week or more off of work next month to get it close to done. The next step is to make the tapered curved pair of upper seat stays and that is going to be a challenge. Once I have it tacked together with the dropouts I can throw it together and go for my maiden voyage. I can't wait to see how it rides.

My eyesight must be worse than I thought,don't know how I missed this one. Glad I caught up on it.

Wicked cool build,love the lines. Can't wait to see it finished.

I'm inching a bit closer to my first ride. I tapered my upper loops for the stays to get the 7/8ths tubing down to 3/4 which I will then grind from 3/4 to 5/8ths for the lower loop.

Before:

During:

After:

And I cut out my drop outs which was surprisingly easy. The metal cutting blade on my jig saw cut through the 1/8 steel like a wood blade cuts through 1/8 plywood.

I'm going to ignore the top stays, which are essentially just the rear fender brace for now and focus on just doing what I need to do to make it ridable. I'm still bogged down with a project at work that is pulling me away from this, but it should be done in a few weeks and then I can really concentrate on this.

Very cool build going on. I like the fact that you're using simple tools and techniques for it.. with all the hi-tech equipment such as plasma tables and waterjets people tend to forget about simple things like a jigsaw and figure they can't do it themselves. looking forward to seeing it finished

I was pleasantly shocked at how easy it was to cut this steel with a jig saw. I knew it would work but I expected to go through my 5 pack of blades to finish the drop outs. I was able to make all the cuts I needed with one blade and its still going strong. Its possible this steel is softer than average though and I can't promise you will have the same results.

Love those drops,can't tell on my phone. Is the axle mounted above or below?

Better and better with every update!

Looking good , coming together nicely !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love those drops,can't tell on my phone. Is the axle mounted above or below?

The axle is about an inch above the chain stays, The goal is for the chain stays to be dead nuts parallel to the ground when it is all done. I have aspirations of making a custom springer next, so the fork length will affect that, but I've factored in an inch of travel.

Did ya miss me? I got stuck in an overtime vortex at work but that's behind me now and I'm ready to kick it into overdrive on this build. I started this morning on the rear triangle and got it all tacked up. I spent a bunch of time getting the fender to fit the arch perfectly. One thing that drives me crazy with these old bikes is how the sheet metal often doesn't fit the frame very well and I decided early on my parts would be tight. Here's some pics.

Tapering the stays

finished stays welded on

Stays tacked in place.

The alignment "looks" good!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back