3-Star Delusion - finally an actual ride...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 3-Star Delusion - of fins, skirts and scoops...

Crank up Jimmy Buffets Fins!

Skirts and fins, brings back memories of a 59 Caddy de Ville, would look good with one of those twin tail lights.

socal_jack said:
Skirts and fins, brings back memories of a 59 Caddy de Ville, would look good with one of those twin tail lights.

Well, I'll be honest - that's where the inspiration partly came from. I haven't devised a way to pull off the tail lights though, at least not in an integrated fashion. But this is only part of the greater whole, I'll show more as I figure it out myself...

kingfish254 said:
Crank up Jimmy Buffets Fins!

Fins up! Well, I'm hoping in practice it'll be more in keeping with streamlining and something somewhere between Caddy tail fins, something aviation related or maybe Rocketman inspired (though I guess all of those things are somewhat related) rather than shark. I didn't have a theme when I started, but one is sort of starting to emerge, all based on the vents in the Higgins skirts. They remind me somehow of jet exhaust vents, maybe sort of like on a helicopter or a Harrier, although I know it doesn't really fit with either...

Here's a better shot of what I'm working on:
WP_001462_zpsd22123a5.jpg

Worth noting is what's going on up front:
WP_001464_zpsed8f2bad.jpg

WP_001465_zpsad854c66.jpg

WP_001466_zps24113c33.jpg

The cardboard templates are stand-ins for the aluminum panels I have yet to cut out, similar to what I did last year. Insert panels that fill in the truss and fork legs are intended to have inlet scoops on them, the aesthetic counterpoint to the vent outlets on the skirts. Maybe you have to squint to make the connection. Also, I'm working on the headlight, last pictured in the first page of this thread. I intend to use it's mounting clamp on the stem, but it does require a fairly long stem to have enough length to actually clamp on. Of course, most of the stems that I seem to have are not of the Schwinn-specific diameter to fit the fork I've installed. At least not easily. So, I'm still working that out, as well as actually powering the lamp. I'd like to put an LED bulb in it and run it off a small battery pack, but a certain amount of the lamp's cool factor comes from the blown-glass incandescent bulb that's in it (though I don't know if it works yet...).

I really dig how this is turning into a jet bike!!!!
Kinda like the special attraction jet dragsters
Sunday !
Sunday !
Sunday !

WP_001466_zps24113c33.jpg

Here are some better (or at least additional) photos of the bike with the cardboard templates in place:
WP_001476_zps17d525a1.jpg

WP_001475_zpsb3d97b73.jpg

WP_001472_zps7deff089.jpg

I made one as a filler between the fender and the seat post, the tail fin seems to flow more naturally with that in place. Otherwise, I should recut it so that it tapers up from the fender at the front, rather than flowing up from the chainstay bridge. I'm still deliberating how to handle a tail light, preferably integrated with the fin.

Here are few close ups of the headlight:
WP_001469_zpsf4536400.jpg

WP_001470_zps47a34a4c.jpg

WP_001473_zpsba29730e.jpg

WP_001468_zpsb07ee24f.jpg

Next up - to render the panels in aluminum, form up the scoops and attach them to the truss panels. I intend at this point to rivet them on, somehow that seems remincent of aircraft bodywork, as well as adding a slightly raw look. By the same token, I have to figure out how to actually attach the fin. I may rivet on angle brackets for that too.

I agree with you on the filler panel behind the seat tube.

As far as attaching the fin, why don't you have a few tabs that slide through slots in the fender ridge and then bend them over under the fender and tack them with jb weld.
Kinda like old paper models, insert tab A into slot B.

That headlight is massive and killer!!!! I love the bulky bracket. Not streamlined at all but perfect just the same.

An idea for a taillight is a row of LEDs on the trailing rear edge of the fin.
WP_000362.jpg

That's worth a try. If there are several tabs, bent in alternating left & right directions, it should hold itself on without further adhesive. The trick would be to form the tabs crisply and make sure that they're tight against the fender, otherwise it'd be a sloppy fit. The fin would move side to side.

As far as the tail light goes, I really want something with more presence, more 3-D effect than an LED strip up the back. Picture the '59 Cadillac fins mentioned earlier. If I were handier with aluminum fabrication, I'd make a wooden buck for a tail light fairing, and hand pound sheet stock over it. Then attach one to either side of the fin (after finding a light to fit inside it). But I don't think that there's enough time left to learn that skill before we run out of build window. I do, however, have the red signal light from the Big Beam lantern I disassembled for use on the BonniRocket. I might be able to use that somehow.

About that headlight, yeah, it's all sorts of right up there and attention getting. If nothing else, it is highly adjustable on several axis. I'm not really sure what to do with it, as far as finish goes yet. On one hand, I'm inclined to leave it exactly as is. On the other, I'd like to sand it down and paint it to match what the other panels will be. I'm torn.

You can get these cool fog lights at Advance Auto for about $20. They could make cool taillights.
WP_002260.jpg

Hmm, not sure on those. I don't think that their shape really fits what I have in my head. I picked up this double bullet light, shown below on the right. Comes from an early Schwinn Jaguar (I think). There might be some potential there if I can get it apart and the insides have anything left worth using...
WP_001056_zps7de0fa73.jpg

Otherwise, the light that's in the center is the signal marker from the Big Beam. That's one I think I can definitely make work...

Just from a less is more stand point I personally think the rear fin is a bit much. Or at least reducing the size so the eye is not instantly drawn to it. The fork scoops are sick so are those little head lights. I love this build been lurking hard

Those upper right lights would work great!

[quote="expjawa"

As far as the tail light goes, I really want something with more presence, more 3-D effect than an LED strip up the back. Picture the '59 Cadillac fins mentioned earlier. If I were handier with aluminum fabrication, But I don't think that there's enough time left to learn that skill before we run out of build window.

I think I would vote on reducing the height of the fin to give yourself more space for the lights and less time learning to perfect the new skill before the time window closes. Even if reduced the fin to being a space to fit the tail lights to.
What you have already done with the skirts and fender looks too good to reduce in impact.

I like the panels on the front as well and can see how you can have them blend in as intakes without setting yourself a target that might lead to frustration due to limited time.

Re: 3-Star Delusion - aluminum bits

OK, well, I've made up the aluminum panels. My father had most of what I needed around his workshop, so I worked over there for this part of the project. I marked out the pieces of aluminum sheet using the templates:
WP_001477_zpsfdc6071e.jpg

Then proceeded to cut them out on the band saw:
WP_001478_zps67b4611c.jpg

Here are all the parts cut out, ready to be deburred and filed to suit.
WP_001479_zpsa4a92ccb.jpg

The scoop pieces were further marked for bending. It may not be immediately obvious, but I did elect to shorten and somewhat reshape the tail fin. It's actually about a 1/2" shorter than the template, and the curve at the front end is sharpened up a bit. I think this is more consistent with the lines of the tank and chain guard. Yes, there is a notch in the back of the fin; this is to clear the tail light that I'm going to try to use. If it doesn't pan out, I'll cut another fin out. I may recut it smaller yet anyway.

Trial fit on the bike:
WP_001486_zpsd3dbb8f2.jpg

WP_001487_zps372d1b6f.jpg

And then back to the scoops - My means of forming them isn't sophisticated, but it worked:
WP_001480_zps1bb43f99.jpg

Just clamping them to the edge of the bench with a block to distribute the load. The actual bending was done by hand (carefully, because the edges were still a bit sharp). Just a little tweaking to get both forms to sit evenly on a flat surface. Formed and ground:
WP_001484_zpsdb8f7a41.jpg

Then it was time to attach them to the filler panels. I drilled holes in the mounting flanges, transferred the pattern to the panels, and drilled to match. Then (borrowing the rivet gun from my father's shop) riveted them on. Pretty simple. I also found a scrap of stainless steel mesh while over there, and I might be able to make a pair of inlet cover screens for the scoops. We'll see how that comes out...
WP_001488_zps2bc33daa.jpg

WP_001489_zpsd8cfc5e3.jpg

Latest posts

Back