3 speed Sturmey Archer hubs for the Beast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the correct width? It does just about double the cost of the bike, but with this hub and Chads (slowriderz) seatpost ,what a huge improvement!
Wide Hub - 3 Speed/Disc SLVR
Super Fat Extra Wide Sturmey Archer SX-RK3 Hub; Internally Geared 3 Speed; Includes 6 Bolt Disc Rotor Mount; Stick Shifter/Gear Selector (Straight or Curved - Inventory Varies - We Will Ship Whatever We Can Get), Locating Washer, Sprocket, Snap Ring, Axle Nuts, Instructions, Lock Washers, Cable, Cable Anchor and Indicator Chain Also Included; 3/8" Axle; 36 Holes; Satin Alumininum Finish; Very Strong and Durable Hub for Use with Extra Wide (i.e. 4"/100mm) Rims; Measures 170mm Locknut to Locknut (Inside Frame Dimension); Stickshift Does Not Include Mount (This Was Part of the Original Stingray Frame These Were Made For); We Can Substitute Twist Shifter for Stick Shift at No Additional Charge Upon Request

I bet a cheap Nexus 3 speed with an offset sprocket would work too.
Might have to dish the spokes a little, but I think it will fit.
Yall are going to force me into buying one of these to show yall how to do it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
I bet a cheap Nexus 3 speed with an offset sprocket would work too.
Might have to dish the spokes a little, but I think it will fit.
Yall are going to force me into buying one of these to show yall how to do it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I understand what you are trying to say here, but the size difference I think will cause an issue. I just measured my Nexus 3 speed hub and there is about 2 inches of difference between lock nut to lock nut, also the axle is to short. I don't know if another axle can be gotten to use seeing as the shifter rod goes into the end of the axle.

The Nexus has a 4 1/2" and the beast has a 6 1/2" width on the drop outs.

I measured mine and have 4 3/4'' from nut to nut. Plus there is another 1/4''
on the brake side axle that could be utilized with a washer. That would give you 5''
which will work on a 100mm wide rim. 100mm=3.93701 inches.
I had a set and used a Sachs 7 speed because they use the shifter on the end of the axle
like the Nexus...still not a cheap hub.

I can see why Beast non-owners think they can retro fit anything to them. Well, there is another dimension to consider. Tire to chain clearance. On my Beasts, the chain is getting hit by the nubs on the tires. The tires are so wide they nearly rub on the chain. Any swapping of cranks, shorter bb axles or rear hubs that alter the chain line inward any amount and your tire will rub on the chain. Good luck with that.

Rick

Blue Beast
Blue Beast

I guess being in the Non Owner category ,you may be right. I know on most of
the frames I have built,there are adjustments that can be made. I never said can't .
I usually changed them where they work. I have dealt with 100mm rims before. They might
have been different though. :wink:

rickpaulos said:
I can see why Beast non-owners think they can retro fit anything to them. Well, there is another dimension to consider. Tire to chain clearance. On my Beasts, the chain is getting hit by the nubs on the tires. The tires are so wide they nearly rub on the chain. Any swapping of cranks, shorter bb axles or rear hubs that alter the chain line inward any amount and your tire will rub on the chain. Good luck with that.

Rick

Blue Beast
Blue Beast
The only thing you can't change about the cranks is you can't use straight armed cranks or they will hit the chain stays. There is no reason I see you need to change the BB axle as it is just fine. The BB bearings can be changed out for better ones as it has been done already by someone else.

Now as to the Nexus 3 speed hub I think the only sticking point is the axle length. The longest axle you can get for it is "Axle Unit (Axle Length 178 mm / 7 in.)". The Beast has a rear dropout of 170 mm / 6.69 in. which doesn't give you much to deal with. Maybe it could still be done by messing with the dropouts.

OK, I must be nuts, but at 1:00 AM, I went to the 'lab' and dug out the Sturmey Archer SX-RB3 that I have stashed away for my 'Phantom of the OCC' build to see if it would fit the beast.

It and the SX-RK3 have a 215mm axle, the only difference is my hub has 163mm overlock and the RK3 has a 170mm overlock.

Well, I yanked the rear wheel off the Beast and tried the 3 speed.

With further ado, here ya go, fits like a glove.

8a28015075ff65de83f6cd4173836038_zps171704bc.jpg

ed8ba48799cc192f4e01e0e02d2387d5_zps4de58749.jpg

If I had more money than brains, I'd buy one for Rikki Tikki Tavi :)

Have good night all.

Cheers,
Dr. T

You guys are schooling this old boy. I've not dealt with all this new-fangled stuff before.I do have some kind of Nexus 7 hub in the basement I bought years ago from Anderson Schwinn in Moline when they closed up.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Tater,
I'm with you brother. :lol: :lol:

I have NO PLANS on putting a $180 hub on a $199 bike, just had one in my 'build box' for my 'pet project' bike......

Cheers dude,
Dr. T

Well then, what else would you put it on?

That is the hard part about this bike. You start modifying things and it's easy to get carried away.

You have to ride it to remind yourself that it may not be the bike you want to pour lots of money into.

Yep.
The 'driver' behind what I'm doing to my Beast is to make it more comfortable and reliable.
The BMX bars and layback post were, first, cheap (like $20 for both) and second add a little room for comfort.
Replacing the rear cog and the BB (again another $20 for both) were to make it easier for me to pedal and inexpensively upgrade the quality of parts to a key area on the bike.

So, I'm still under $250 (even with the 'vintage' Mongoose decals :mrgreen: )

At this point, I've got NO plans to upgrade any other drivetrain components or tires/tubes, until they break/wear out.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Rat Rod said:
That is the hard part about this bike. You start modifying things and it's easy to get carried away.

You have to ride it to remind yourself that it may not be the bike you want to pour lots of money into.

Latest posts

Back