3 Speed Hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping an eye out for one of these for a while now but they don't seem to pop up very often. But I just stumbled across someone selling a bunch of them cheap. I honestly don't know much about them in general so is there anything I should keep an eye out for? I'm planning to head over there this evening to pick some up.

hubs.jpg

7 bucks each?

I'd get the whole bunch and sort them out later. At least all the 26 x 1.75 ones like cman mentioned. But the others could be used for parts too.
Get all the 3 speed shifters, little parts and cables he has too.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I was really tempted to get the whole lot of them, but my wife might make me sleep in the garage with my pile of bike parts if it gets much bigger.

But the general take away is to grab all the the Sturmy Archers he's got, and any of the shifter parts that go with them. Avoid the Shimano ones if possible, otherwise look for the newest and cleanest ones with coaster brakes.

Is it possible to verify if they function while not attached to a bike? I doubt I will have the time, or that he would have the patience for me to start disassembling them in his yard.

I'd get the Shimano ones too. I've always heard they aren't good, but I had a 3CC last me for many miles and it probably still works fine. If a hub is lubed and adjusted properly, it'll probably last.

To check the hub's operation, you would have to spin the wheel and shift the gears, but that wouldn't reflect actual use under load, just give an indication that it isn't completely broken. So it would be nearly impossible to verify if they are good. I would want to add some light oil down the axle opening first before testing it out. If you could take them apart, you could see how much wear and dryness/rust they have. Then add light oil to the parts and grease to the bearings.

At 7 bucks each, if only a couple were good, you made a good deal. I'd still get all of them, and hide some up in the rafters or under the bed. :21:

I'd be less concerned about the size and condition of the wheel than that of the hub itself. A good hub can always be laced into a more appropriate rim.

Yeah I still may grab them all, I just don't know yet. Because honestly the temptation is real. I have seriously been trying to get my hands on a good internally geared hub for years many, many years now. But so far the only ones I ever come across are attached to bikes that are well out of my meager price range. I have a feeling that this is an opportunity that probably won't be coming around again anytime soon.

I'd be less concerned about the size and condition of the wheel than that of the hub itself. A good hub can always be laced into a more appropriate rim.
Also, the guts can sometimes be interchanged on the same shell, so you can easily change out the whole thing without respoking.

Yeah I am definitely more interested in the actual hubs than the whole wheels. I have laced wheels before and I have no problem with rebuilding a wheel if the hub is worth it.

Besides in all honesty one of the reasons that I have been trying to get my hands on one of these involves no spokes and a little welding... and that big dumb bike in my avatar image.

Besides if I break most of the wheels down I can probably get the extra hubs into a much easier to hide box in the garage.

You could cut the hubs out of the rims you don't want to save space too. You'd have a drawer full of hubs.

Multi-speed jackshaft in your future?

Exactly! That big green monster isn't bad on flat ground but even a slight incline can be humbling if you don't have a little momentum going into it. That's also the reason that when I built that bike I fought hard to use a un-stretched hub as a jackshaft. I built it with the intention of someday dropping in a lightly modified multi-speed hub.

But also now that I have a couple of cool old beach cruisers, I would love to drop a three speed in them too.

Yeah I was not at all mentally prepared for that what I found when I got there. I was expecting someone with a few parts that they were trying to get rid of, but this guy had hundreds of bikes in his yard... and that's no exaggeration.

I ended up getting 4 wheels. Unfortunately they're all Shimano hubs on narrow rims. But he did throw in shifters and cables and everything with them....
IMG_20171121_175215.jpg

IMG_20171121_191411.jpg

He only had two with coasters so I definitely grabbed both of those... But the reason I got fewer wheels than I originally planned to was because I didn't have a ton of cash with me... and he made me an offer on something else I couldn't pass up. I honestly don't know if this is an amazing deal but it felt like it to me.

IMG_20171121_175337.jpg

I got the lot for $55. I'm also keeping his number handy because he threw out a few prices on some of his other stuff and I have a feeling I'll definitely be hitting him up for more bikes and parts in the future.

Yeah I know it's just an old worksman but to me it was just too cool to resist. Ill admit I'm a relative novice when it comes to what's valuable, but for what essentially amounted to like $20 that frame was a no brainier.

And yeah... My wife was super excited when she saw me dragging that to the garage... She threatened to put my whole collection of parts bikes on the curb. Still at least it wasn't 10 wheels... I honestly think probably would have been even harder to justify.

But apparently I wasn't the first one to respond to his ad which is why the hubs/wheels he still had we're slim pickings. Still I think I managed to make the most of it. Although if I had brought a little more cash, and had drove my truck instead of my little car a whole bunch of new projects might have followed me home.

Good deal getting all the shifters too.

That Worksman has the good forks, and some kind of BMX stem. It might make a good klunker. There's a thread on Worksman bikes here, they look great.

If your better half knows how to ride a bike, make up a custom how she likes it. That may help getting your upcoming pile of bikes approved.

Latest posts

Back