3 piece crankset on cruiser frame???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I'm not knocking OPC's, I was just looking for something different to do with one of the two WM frames I have when I stumbled on that Core 77, then like an idiot went out looking for a Profile Imperial sprocket... and found one pretty cheap! If the dang thing would have fit the OPC I never would have initiated this thread:crazy:. Now I've opened up a whole new can of worms... it's a "Life Experience" thing!:headbang:

most sealed 3 piece cranks never need greased like a one piece crank bearings do, so i would go sealed 3 piece cranks in a off road conditions !

I know this is an old thread, but I will revive because I have a few questions.
1. Is there a (threaded) BMX spindle that I can use with the standart one piece bearings? Edit - is this what I need:
spindle.JPG

2. Can I use BMX three piece cranks with an offset chainring (that I currently use with my one piece crank)?
3. Are BMX crankarms always made for 9/16 pedals?
4 Has anyone put a three piece BMX cranks in a Felt tankframe and are there any clearance issues that might occur?

I know this is an old thread, but I will revive because I have a few questions.
1. Is there a (threaded) BMX spindle that I can use with the standart one piece bearings? Edit - is this what I need:
View attachment 108730
2. Can I use BMX three piece cranks with an offset chainring (that I currently use with my one piece crank)?
3. Are BMX crankarms always made for 9/16 pedals?
4 Has anyone put a three piece BMX cranks in a Felt tankframe and are there any clearance issues that might occur?

I have a BMX setup like that I just replaced the factory OPC in my Schwinn Cruiser 5.
index.php
index.php

Picked up at a swap I believe somewhere it said HARO on it. Fits great! Kids scrapped bikes = many cool parts for cruisers!
index.php

WeThePeople also made one . I have one installed on a electra . I'm not sure what your goal is but I have one of these if it will help you accomplish it ?
p.jpg

On the bolt drive style of 3-piece cranks, is the offset dimension of the drive bolt/hole standardized; will they fit common chain rings used with 1-piece cranks, (and 15/16” hat shim)?

On the bolt drive style of 3-piece cranks, is the offset dimension of the drive bolt/hole standardized; will they fit common chain rings used with 1-piece cranks, (and 15/16” hat shim)?
The ashtabula style 3pc cranks fit ashtabula sprokets. True bmx 3pc cranks and conversions don't. I explained this in a youtube video. There are these adapter/spacer things to use ashtabula sprokets with regular 3pc sprokets. The axle diameter is bigger on ashtabula cranks.

Even the cheapest ones are an improvement. I had an old Sugino crankset that I wanted to try, and got the cheapest conversion set just to try it out. I think it was only 12 bucks for the bearings and spindle kit. I plan to do another conversion on my next bike, but a higher quality set even though this one seems fine. If I can get my old bike back.
DSCI0091.JPG

Latest posts

Back