29ers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone else ride a 29er? If so, post em up!

Here's my winter build, which after today's ride is also replacing my full suspension. :wink:

040-1.jpg

Yes, they are Jones Titec bars. I love them, they are comfortable like the cruiser bars on my other bikes, but can handle the tight and twisty single track. I have tried several ALT bars ( Mary or Space Bars) but these are my favorite. Do you have any picture of the Kona?

I need to take some photos at some point. It's bee a long time since i rode a fully suspended bike and my first experience with them was not great (Moots KT-60). I hope the Kona shines, but if it doesn't I'll go hardtail hunting I suppose.

I'm still hunting for a few last bits; brakes, rear cass and shifters. Lots of options these days and I need to to some research. My last mtb was 3x8 XTR. Now there is 1x10, 2x10, 1x9, 2x9, 3x9..... I'm going to try the Sram stuff this time around. I bought a X9 rear deraleur already but the cable routing on the Kona is on top of the rear chainstay so it makes an for an akward cable angle with that weird curved cable guide thing on the deraleur. live and learn.

Nice On-One!

First 29er was this GT Peace but I blew the rear hub(Shimano, no bueno especially for 29er/clyde use) and converted to SS, pretty much my beach cruiser now
IMG_1615.jpg

Led to building a RIP9 last summer (favorite MTB owned of all time, awesome bike), just added a Reverb seatpost need a new pic, lower-rise/wider bars now too needed room for the freaking remote. Spec'd the whole thing out and built up, running a 2X9 mostly SRAM setup (Shimano XT cass and FD).
IMG_1656.jpg

Just picked up this new Peace 9R a real SS, blowing 'em out on Nashbar, needs new pic also as I put a 22t on the back for actual mtb use and a half-link to get a better chainstay length(same setup as the blue one).
gt_done.jpg

That's quite a quiver of 29ers. How do you like the bomber? I came really close to pulling the trigger on one of those.

I threw on my xtr rear cass and xt rear deraleur last night. This was stuff from my prior mtb, this way i can use the xtr shifters too. Once this stuff wears out I think I'll re-visit the sram drivetrain stuff. Now its's down to brakes and a front deraleur.

Walker said:
That's quite a quiver of 29ers. How do you like the bomber? I came really close to pulling the trigger on one of those.

I threw on my xtr rear cass and xt rear deraleur last night. This was stuff from my prior mtb, this way i can use the xtr shifters too. Once this stuff wears out I think I'll re-visit the sram drivetrain stuff. Now its's down to brakes and a front deraleur.

I'm sold on the 29er format, still have a 2006 IH 7point3 in 26" for real heavy duty stuff. That bike was my first SRAM experience, won't go back to Shimano for RDs and shifters. The RIP does have some clearance issues with the FD and chainrings (the price for such generous tire clearance, my Dissent 2.5s with ease, just have to follow Niner's advice there) so I used a short cage SLX meant for 2X9 and I still think Shimano has a better cassette, rest is X.7 9 spd clearance. Other than that the CVA suspension works as advertised, you can stand and power even in extreme situations and it works equally well in all rings, no bobbing (DW-link on the IH not so easy standing, was down to this and a Turner Sultan). Had hydros on the 7pt3 went back to BB7s as on the RIP9.

I would love a Full suspension 29er. 9er bikes are probably my favorite 29ers..

I had to sell my Raleigh XXIX, But i still own a Big Ripper, Which is 29"
Totally awesome rides.

biss-ness said:
I love that RIP! That's my next bike, I just need to sell a few first. I have a Fisher HIFI but it just does not have the travel I am looking for...

It took awhile to decide between the RIP and a WFO, finally came down to the WFO being close what I had already in the the 7point3(granted 26") but it's been a super fun bike so far(I'm running a 140mm fork). I just missed the real blowouts on the RIP(or WFO) as they tweaked the front end geometry slightly for 2011(slacker by 1 degree and type of headset semi-int) still see 2010 WFOs for $999 and RIPs for $1299

... no seat collar, but headset(not sure on the 2011s) and shock :shock: , BTW that WFO price is about half of a 2011.

The green 9R SS was $334(with a Nashbar coupon code) plus tax and shipping (blue multi-9r roughly the same total on clearance with coupon codes at Performance in late 2008), GT discontinued the Peace in steel for 2011 and brought back the Karakoram model/name in 29er format and aluminum to replace it.

Latest posts

Back