• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

29er non Taper 1 1/8 Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a 29er front fork for a Worksman Klunker I am building. I don't want to spend a bunch on this - looking to go cheap on the build. Open to Steel, Carbon, or old suspension fork. Just needs to be non tapered and wide enough for a mountain bike tire. Thanks in advance!

I don't have any I'm ready to get rid of...but, I'll give you some possibilities on the rigid side. Most will be chromoly, if you are going to ride your klunker in anger, you don't want a mild steel fork.

1) SE Racing Landing Gear from Big Ripper, Big Flyer, etc...spendy and don't come up often.
2) 26" and 29" Redline Monocogs. Since these are suspension compatible frames, the forks have very tall a-c measurements. A 26" Monocog fork would probably clear a healthy sized 29" tire. The 29" Monocogs are very tall. 26" Monocogs occasionally turn up cheap on CL... I got one a couple years ago for under $80, which is worth it just for the fork.
3) Kona project 2. There are a myriad of versions and options on these things. They look a bit modern, but, if you are patient, they often come up on ebay for ~$50.
4) S&M custom shop. They'll make you a fork to spec...but ~$150+ (FBM is advertising an upcoming off the shelf 29" bmx fork...the FBM and S&M custom shop is the same place :39:)
5) There are a couple Surly forks that kind of fit the bill, but...kind of modern looking and usually not that cheap.
6) 700c FGFS forks. There are generic chromoly ones on ebay usually that are cheap and will clear at least a 1.95" wide 29er, and possibly up to a 2.1". I have some nice looking Leader FGFS forks that probably wouldn't clear 29s, but they clear a pretty wide 26".
7) Other non-chromoly possibilities...there are aluminum and carbon fiber 29" mountain bike forks on ebay, straight from china for quite a bit under $100. I'm going to try a cf one on my Big Ripper down the road, but haven't done it yet.
8) Mostly, just camp out on ebay and CL and watch. There is currently a Waltworks 29er fork on ebay that would look great on a Worksman...but, it depends on how many people that are looking for a fork know who waltworks is? I have CL fork on my Schwinn HD bike...it did 22miles of some pretty stout downhill without a whimper...

IMG_20181212_211710643.jpg

...I have no idea what brand it is, but I did a spark test on it to make sure it wasn't a mild steel (hi-ten) fork, and it wasn't...so I used it, dirt cheap. The tire on it measures at a tad over 27" diameter...it could probably clear a narrow 29".

Suspension fork for a Klunker...GIRVIN, but...not quite cheap, though sometimes you can get lucky. I'm going to build up another Schwinn HD with a Girvin on it before next Spring/Summer.

Good luck,
Jason

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back