26 MTB to gravel bike conversion to town bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The warning label on Simple Green says it'll etch aluminum. Maybe search a mountain bike forum for what NOT to do with those precious Ringle or Grafton pieces.

To remove the anodizing without etching the aluminum usually takes chromic/phosphoric acid and high temps. The only other solution I've seen that operates, slowly, at room temps is still some pretty concentrated nasty stuff. Your best bet at home is oven cleaner. Check it often as it will etch the aluminum...could take five minutes, could take an hour, depending on the oxide film thickness (it penetrates the aluminum as much as it build on top...so a .0004" build up also penetrates .0004" into the aluminum). Sand, cut, and polish it afterword...or just go over it with scotchbrite and call it good.

Ok sounds good. If all else fails, I'll just grab my dremel. I have used oven cleaner to remove paint from aluminum wheels before.

Hahahahaha! On the instructables link.....

“Constantly agitate the solution.”......you mean like standing between it and the TV? I know that agitates my wife.....a lot!

In all seriousness, great link @MattiThundrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...you mean like standing between it and the TV? I know that agitates my wife.....a lot!
"You make a better door than a window!"
My dad, shouting at me as I stood mesmerized in front of the TV. Happened often as a kid.

Bunch of parts on the way, some used Mavic wheels, XT v-brakes and Tektro RL520. New high rise stem, Maxxis freeride tubes, DMR Moto Digger 26x2.35 tires, Selcof cork tape, On One Midge bars and rear 16t gear, Selle Italia Turbo 1980 saddle and Planet X S/S bottle cage. Just need to order threadless adaptor and seatpost.

Going to treat the frame with frame saver this weekend and try to make the cranks look good.

Can't wait to see how it looks.
Moto Diggers look pretty sweet. And just my size. Think I'd like to try those.

I agree, those Moto Diggers are sweet, they remind me of the old school ‘knobbies’.
f54d5941f9247254b2ddffa8bc201c5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanded one crank down. Now do I leave in the sanded state or polish it?
0c8398ce82b484f5cfbfc1cafb7b470f.jpg

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I guess I have low standards... that isn't shiny enough? Lol I've never touched the paint or chrome or shined anything on my bikes. Or cars. I barely even wash them! There's a saying in motorcycles: paint and chrome don't get you home!
Polish away, good sir!
PS is it safe to assume that you are the same 93EXCivic I see on the MeaTBurR?

I guess I have low standards... that isn't shiny enough? Lol I've never touched the paint or chrome or shined anything on my bikes. Or cars. I barely even wash them! There's a saying in motorcycles: paint and chrome don't get you home!
Polish away, good sir!
PS is it safe to assume that you are the same 93EXCivic I see on the MeaTBurR?

Yup.

I am not sure about polishing or not. It probably wouldn't stay shiny in the long term and it is a lot of extra work.

Finally got the bottom bracket sorted. So should be able to build it next week. I have all the parts in I think.

Finally got the bottom bracket sorted. So should be able to build it next week. I have all the parts in I think.

What i do when i'm unsure, i just give it a quick polish, not to a mirror state, but just to see the result. If i like it - i go spend another hour or so to make it better, and if i don't, it's always easy to de-polish them again :D
From my experience, the size/shape of crank arms are allowing them to be polished quite quickly and well, at least with the setup i got, which is velcro sandpaper disc and two polishing rag discs for a drill.

Latest posts

Back