26" bmx or klunker?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to buy a new bike, and was thinking about a bmx or a klunker. Not sure about the differences between the 2, but I like the looks of the klunkers better. Any help is appreciated, Dave.

I want to buy a new bike, and was thinking about a bmx or a klunker. Not sure about the differences between the 2, but I like the looks of the klunkers better. Any help is appreciated, Dave.

By "new" do you mean a MY2014 bike, or an older bike that's new-to-you?

FWIW, a lot of these bikes sort of blur the line, and they have had much in common for as long as I've been alive. WBITD, a klunker was a heavyweight cruiser adapted to offroad use using moto, tandem, and some bmx bits. As the 26" cruiser class of BMX took off, and new-production 26" bikes were made to do more in the ways of riding trails rather than bmx tracks, you got things like the GLJ Fireroad Cruiser:
c6cb343064744121b9ddc5188bedef633315000002df3a7fb7bb_zpsdb5f87b8_blowup.jpg
--- like I said, the lines get blurry. I think of a "klunker" as a pre-1970 frame with all pre-1980 parts on it, mostly cruiser/moto/tandem stuff on it.... but i like neo-klunks or "krunx" bikes with a lot of modern BMX on just about whatever frame you want.... I personally like to adapt late-model industrial bikes to offroad riding/abuse, and a lot of the parts I use for that are from the BMX and MTB world.... but moto bars are cool, too. My point (if I have one): The nomenclature is more about personal preference than cut-n-dry definitions.

Food for thought:

You can get frames like the ones in the video for between $60 and $80 from RRB member Ind-Chuckz; get the rest from your parts bin, porkchop, dans, or the FS forum here, or wherever you usually go for battle-ready bike parts....

The bike I saw online that got me interested, was a Transitions klunker. Be fore I order one, I would like to know what other bikes may be available. I'm also interested in the new Electra bike with 29" wheels.

So, you're looking for a brand-new complete? FWIW, at that price point, I don't see anything that can touch the transition bike-- unless you buy a Schwinn Heavy Duti or a Worksman INB from Chuckz and build one yourself.. BTW, the guys in the video ride for Transition; that particular video is before they came out with their "klunker" model.... later videos feature the Transition bikes.

---assuming you want a 3-bar. Some of the 26" diamond-framed bikes being sold now are really impressive, too..... like an SE OM Flyer or a Primetime...
2015_SE_OM%20FLYER_SIDE.jpg

I'm sorry if this is a creepy move, as it isn't my bike, but I've always admired this build:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/another-heavy-duti-build-headbadge-mounted.81908/
Truly inspiring.
RRB member October bought a cheapie SHD frame from Chuckz, gave it some love, and ended up with an awesome trail dog.... Notice, he started the thread March 14 and he was riding by April 25.... I'd wager he's got a lot less into it than a new Transition or Etrektra Moto would cost, in terms of money. Time/labor is another thing entirely, but that's why this is a hobby, right?

808 is on the money.. I would and have gone as a build.. I also built a Schwinn Heavy Duti and gave it a really low ( budget build) cost Klunker build and it rode like a dream.. I ended up selling after I posted it on CL and didn't last two days after posting it.. Guy wanted it bad and was eager to have it.. Happy camper per say.. and good money also..
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?posts/756878/

Clunky bikes have gears(in my mind), and the bmx style has one.....
If you're going to ride it, gears are nice if your not in good shape. Plus a bigger seat looks more at home on a klunky.

I've started a build using my Dyna. I'll post some pic's later today. I really like the looks of the klunker better. Since I ride mainly trails and on the street, would it be better to use street tires than off road knobbies?

Probably, as long as you steer clear of mossy dams and pea gravel. Some mtb tires (have a continuous center tread that rolls easy on pavement and less likely to come loose if you want or are forced to leave it. Old school knobbies usually have enough overlaping of knobs to prevent the "buzzing" effect of true off-road tires, but there is definitely more drag than street or even the mtb tires. There are some low pressure street tires that are as draggy as anything out there.

Here's the start of my klunker. I've bought Mr. Ticks klunker bars, and waiting on my kenda tires. I'll eventually go with a 3 speed rear hub, and after that, who knows?

This will be interesting.. Can't wait to see this build.. I have a feeling this going to come out very nice and with some attitude.!!

Latest posts

Back