• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

26" 3-Bar Looptail Frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks rad. I finally got my sealed BB bearings pressed in this morning. Not sure if it's because this is a virgin frame or if too much powder got inside the shell but holy moly, that was the hardest time I've ever had pressing in BB bearings. I had to eventually lightly file down the inside of the BB shell and use lots of grease with the BAB (big *** bolt) tool and a 3' breaker bar.

If you're using the YST kit with the sealed bearings and the square taper spindle, with the collars with set screws, I installed one in a Worksman frame and yeah, it was t-i-g-h-t :13:

Oh. I've put those in before; usually, no more work than what is typical. Hmmm. Was there a lot of powder inside the BB shell? It's also possible that these frames are just a hair or 2 out of spec....

Oh. I've put those in before; usually, no more work than what is typical. Hmmm. Was there a lot of powder inside the BB shell? It's also possible that these frames are just a hair or 2 out of spec....

I have a feeling it's a combination of the two. I got one side in flush and the other was still crooked so I removed it. Once out, I could see that I built up a ridge of paint inside the BB shell. I filed that out, re-centered the bearing and pressed it in. Again, wasn't easy, but I think the shell may just be 1/2mm out of spec and combine that with the extra powder and it made for a bad time. Still, it's nothing that any of us half-wit's shouldn't be able to handle. :)

Just look at the potential! :)

2C4E001E-2B3A-4CDC-88E8-2031073030C8_zpsuw8sljtt.jpg

So I've got all my stuff together and my wheels have been laced too. That Sturmey Archer kickback hub is a brick. Just waiting for the frame to get back from being chromed in San Diego. It's scheduled to be done on Friday so I'm hoping to get this thing finally put together next week.
13612132_10156918786515538_376481548510684041_n.jpg

13626545_10156918785930538_9151862033205439602_n.jpg

The bike below is not mine. It was built up by one of the owners of Brass Monkey Bike Shop here in Phoenix. When I saw The Dude selling these on here I got these guys involved and they bought a few and I got a frame from them.
13620041_10156918785620538_940355504325705344_n.jpg

I really liked what they did to the frame. From what I can see they strengthened the welds and chopped the seat tube. Curious how they are using a threadless stem on this frame though.

Your wheels look great Phx! Are you having those same frame mods done by that shop?

I really liked what they did to the frame. From what I can see they strengthened the welds and chopped the seat tube. Curious how they are using a threadless stem on this frame though.

Your wheels look great Phx! Are you having those same frame mods done by that shop?
I had the welding done on mine too, but did not have the seat tube cut. Can't say about the stem.

So I've got all my stuff together and my wheels have been laced too. That Sturmey Archer kickback hub is a brick. Just waiting for the frame to get back from being chromed in San Diego. It's scheduled to be done on Friday so I'm hoping to get this thing finally put together next week.
13612132_10156918786515538_376481548510684041_n.jpg

13626545_10156918785930538_9151862033205439602_n.jpg

The bike below is not mine. It was built up by one of the owners of Brass Monkey Bike Shop here in Phoenix. When I saw The Dude selling these on here I got these guys involved and they bought a few and I got a frame from them.
13620041_10156918785620538_940355504325705344_n.jpg
Looks sick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious how they are using a threadless stem on this frame though.

It'd be super easy to run a 1" threadless fork/headset on that frame, and then shim a 1.125" stem to fit the 1" steerer.

@PhxBuckeye i have a pretty similar wheelset planned; i got Sturmey-rcher hubs, anodized gold, a HBT30 front, and the s1c (singlespeed) coaster out back. LAcing them into some Sun Equalizer 31 rims. Just gotta order spokes. Your wheels look rad with the gumwall snakebelly tires.

UPDATE:

Pacific Plating was supposed to ship the bike yesterday (Friday, 7/16). They called this morning saying it was rejected by their quality control guy due to bubbles and they've spent hours trying to strip it again.:20: They hope to have it ready to ship by Wednesday.

UPDATE:

Pacific Plating was supposed to ship the bike yesterday (Friday, 7/16). They called this morning saying it was rejected by their quality control guy due to bubbles and they've spent hours trying to strip it again.:20: They hope to have it ready to ship by Wednesday.

@Bicycle808 does not like this.

Well, i finally picked up my frame from @jamesdart 's place today. I have every part i need for the build either on-hand or on-order, aside from the handlebars and spokes. And the seatbinder bolt, but i might have one in the garage, somewhere. Super-stoked about this bike; it's gonna be sick.

Latest posts

Back