• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

26" 3-Bar Looptail Frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I got a line on a few of these 3-Bar Looptail Frames from the Emory factory in Jacksonville. Clayton and his brother bought these as a lot from a bike shop in Gainesville, FL in the early 80's when that shop was going out of business. The frames were sold as private label bikes for The Bike Route in Gainesville but there's no history of who OEM'd them, however, they look very similar to TBS.

All of the frames are covered in a layer of surface rust, I didn't see any of them that had anything worse than that. The rust would look awesome if you decide to build the bike as a true Rat Rod. Other than the surface rust there's no structural damage to the frames, but given the age of the frames they are all being sold as-is.

Pricing on the frames is $125 each plus shipping. Volume discounts are available. Two would be $225, 3 would be $350, etc... There's only about 10 more of these frames so they will be sold in order of who sends payment. My PayPal is [email protected]. When you send payment please indicate how many you would like. In response I will send a shipping estimate based on your address.

UPDATE 10/25/16: ALL FRAMES HAVE BEEN SOLD. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INTEREST!

3bar_zpshjofpd9i.jpg
emory1_zpsrzfmndju.jpeg
emory_zpsnb5w9g6h.jpeg

Last edited:
Very similar. I have to believe that the frames were OEM'd by TBS. The key differences between my frames and the Islander is the integrated seat clamp and the rear chainguard mounting tab. On my frames they are mounted on the seat stay tube rather than the chain stay.

I got a line on a few of these 3-Bar Looptail Frames from the Emory factory in Jacksonville. Clayton and his brother bought these as a lot from a bike shop in Gainesville, FL in the early 80's when that shop was going out of business. The frames were sold as private label bikes for The Bike Route in Gainesville but there's no history of who OEM'd them, however, they look very similar to TBS.

All of the frames are covered in a layer of surface rust, I didn't see any of them that had anything worse than that. The rust would look awesome if you decide to build the bike as a true Rat Rod. Other than the surface rust there's no structural damage to the frames, but given the age of the frames they are all being sold as-is.

Pricing on the frames is $125 each plus shipping. Volume discounts are available. Two would be $225, 3 would be $350, etc... There's only about 10 more of these frames so they will be sold in order of who sends payment. My PayPal is [email protected]. When you send payment please indicate how many you would like. In response I will send a shipping estimate based on your address.

3bar_zpshjofpd9i.jpg
emory1_zpsrzfmndju.jpeg
emory_zpsnb5w9g6h.jpeg
Shipping to flint mi cost$$

Okay, so I've procured one of these. I'm planning to have the frame blasted and then powder coated. I am struggling with deciding the color of the frame and then the color scheme of the rest of the bike.

Possible colors of the frame:

1. Shiniest silver/chrome color the powder coat place can come up with.

2. Anodized red powder coat. Not actually anodized but a powder coat that looks like it.

3. Gloss black.

Right now I'm planning to do an anodized red Sturmey Archer kickback hub/coaster brake, black Halo SAS or Sun MTX33 rims with chrome/steel nipples and alternating red & black spokes. However, if I decide to go with a black frame, I would likely go all black on the wheels accept for the nipples. Then I would do chrome bars, cranks and fork.

If I do anodized red or the silver/chrome frame I'd do red bars, some spokes, hubs, pedals and cranks.

Whatcha think?

Okay, so I've procured one of these. I'm planning to have the frame blasted and then powder coated. I am struggling with deciding the color of the frame and then the color scheme of the rest of the bike.

Possible colors of the frame:

1. Shiniest silver/chrome color the powder coat place can come up with.

2. Anodized red powder coat. Not actually anodized but a powder coat that looks like it.

3. Gloss black.

Right now I'm planning to do an anodized red Sturmey Archer kickback hub/coaster brake, black Halo SAS or Sun MTX33 rims with chrome/steel nipples and alternating red & black spokes. However, if I decide to go with a black frame, I would likely go all black on the wheels accept for the nipples. Then I would do chrome bars, cranks and fork.

If I do anodized red or the silver/chrome frame I'd do red bars, some spokes, hubs, pedals and cranks.

Whatcha think?
I like 3 but flat black

Sounds like a really nice setup. Either of those wheel choices is nice! My wheel setup is going to be Araya 7x with some old school polished Redline hubs, tires will be Duro bmx whitewalls. Al's cruiser bars, and a Dawes sprung sporty seat are on order. Color will be pretty basic, I'm not doing candy or metallic. I'm going to probably do Mustang Competition Orange. Redline 3pc cranks with a two piece chainwheel to a single speed freewheel will be the drivetrain. I may eventually choose to add a 3 speed.

Sounds like a really nice setup. Either of those wheel choices is nice! My wheel setup is going to be Araya 7x with some old school polished Redline hubs, tires will be Duro bmx whitewalls. Al's cruiser bars, and a Dawes sprung sporty seat are on order. Color will be pretty basic, I'm not doing candy or metallic. I'm going to probably do Mustang Competition Orange. Redline 3pc cranks with a two piece chainwheel to a single speed freewheel will be the drivetrain. I may eventually choose to add a 3 speed.
I'm going 3 speed with a suicide shift with a copperish frame color and black rims

Those are sweet frames as a Florida guy my self I really should buy one !!!! Awsome KLUNKER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decided to go with black gloss powder coat, black rims, black spokes with red anodized nipples and red anodized hubs. I've got red anodized handle bars, black Redline Device cranks red anodize bear trap pedals, Origin 8 red anodized headset and I bought a repro Mongoose double clamp stem.

I'm hoping to have it powder coated, built and ready to roll by the 4th of July.

Latest posts

Back