24" BMX cruiser, its a mystery

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
OK, maybe some of you "in the know" bmx guys can help here.
I'm guessing the bars and stem are not original

DSCN0071-1.jpg

kickstand, so probably not high end, threaded bottom bracket and cottered cranks?
DSCN0072.jpg

serial #'s on both rear drop outs.
DSCN0074.jpg

Rear coaster brake and heavy duty wheels
DSCN0073.jpg

Not 100% sure but possibly an older Mongoose. Someone else will probably know more about it.

I have never seen one exactly like it but it has A LOT of mongoose styling cues, The kickstand mount to rear chain-stay loop is straight off the old Californian / expert, the head tube gussets are straight off the super-goose, but I've never seen anything old mongoose with a euro bottom bracket. May want to research "Rampar" I know they used the same style headset gusset for a while. If all else fails post it on the name it section of BMXmuseam.com Some very knowledgeable people there.

oldschoolcolo said:
definitely not a mongoose.
the seat stays look like Murray and then the dropout look like schwinn bmx. but the cotter pin cranks are a strange addition.

The seat stays definitely do look Murray-ish. The dropouts are even similar, except for the cutout. Very cool.

yikes. like the other guys says it has lots of goose stuff, even the brace between the down tube and seat tube, like on the '75-'77 gooses. but the rear triangle and the BB have me baffeled. ive seen the same top half of the triangle on a bmx bike i believe sears made, but who made it, idk. :?

My 1st bike was a 16" Kent Trail Climber that had cottered cranks/euro bb, and similar styling on the frame. Around 82-83 some of their 20" bikes had a frame gusset that looks like yours, and they were definitely dept. store bikes. Never seen one in 24" before, but 1983 Kent 24" BMX would be my guess.

Unfortunately, my Kent is in storage and this is the only picture I have of it and you can't see much of the frame details. But from what I remember, the rear triangle looks similar to yours, and the cranks & chainwheel are the same style.
DSCN0093.jpg

It has a lot in common with that Kent 20incher. fork tabs, cranks and ring. I'd do some googleing.

The 3 piece bottom bracket makes for lots of options. I kind of like it.

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back