2020 Schwinn Stingray 125th frame (only) wwith Vintage/Repop parts and 26" Springer "Right Tools For The Job"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(NOTE)
I know this is a simpleton project in comparrison to most of the bike wizards here, so if you're still following along, thanks, I appreciate it. I have the skillset to do far more 1-off customization, but that will be for other projects.

May switch up the game plan here. I'm not sure if I want to run an external brake on this project. If I run the mags, I'll have to...but the mags give it a lot of character, especially after I give them the business...but chrome classic spokes and white walls always look good.....arghhhhh!

Anyway, more parts have trickled in. I'm S T I L L looking for a seat! They are throught the roof of epic proportions right now, but fools are paying so it ruins it for the rest of us. I want an old Schwinn pan thats not rusted out, just needs a repaint. I don't care about the foam or cover, I have an expet buddy for that. But even roached out pans are going for stupid cabbage right now. Just have to keep hunting. Anyway, here's where we're at today:
IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

In addition, I'm still giving thought to buying a Schwinn Truss rod top brace and bending my own stainless tubing and polishing. I think they look rad, espically on my 26" longer forks. Funny how your tastes change. When I was a kid I'd take them off and toss them in the garbage haha.
fork truss rods.jpg

(NOTE)
I know this is a simpleton project in comparrison to most of the bike wizards here, so if you're still following along, thanks, I appreciate it. I have the skillset to do far more 1-off customization, but that will be for other projects.

May switch up the game plan here. I'm not sure if I want to run an external brake on this project. If I run the mags, I'll have to...but the mags give it a lot of character, especially after I give them the business...but chrome classic spokes and white walls always look good.....arghhhhh!

Anyway, more parts have trickled in. I'm S T I L L looking for a seat! They are throught the roof of epic proportions right now, but fools are paying so it ruins it for the rest of us. I want an old Schwinn pan thats not rusted out, just needs a repaint. I don't care about the foam or cover, I have an expet buddy for that. But even roached out pans are going for stupid cabbage right now. Just have to keep hunting. Anyway, here's where we're at today:
View attachment 134070
View attachment 134071
In addition, I'm still giving thought to buying a Schwinn Truss rod top brace and bending my own stainless tubing and polishing. I think they look rad, espically on my 26" longer forks. Funny how your tastes change. When I was a kid I'd take them off and toss them in the garbage haha.View attachment 134072
Personally I like the mags a lot more. Over the top character

Now......about the truck in the backdrop

Personally I like the mags a lot more. Over the top character

Now......about the truck in the backdrop
Yep, I agree about the mags, we'll see.

"Wolfy" short for Wolfenstein, is a 1941 Chevy pee-cup. Chopped 5", channeled 5", Pete & Jakes 5" drop axle/shocks,1936 Chevy Master grill, 6-71 blown 350, twice Edelbrocks, tb350 trans/shift kit, 10 bolt rear end. Rollin' on Astro Supremes and cheater slicks. Not finished yet, but runs and drives.....er, I mean hauls A $ $.
crop 41.jpg
89434594_10222262189891460_1244034975183929344_n.jpg

87832832_10216136793388772_2064607151602532352_o.jpg
87964126_10222171518304727_6027520531559874560_n.jpg
87848680_10222171517744713_7035455631154741248_n.jpg

wheel 2.jpg

Last edited:
I finally trimmed down the springer stem (1-3/8") and sissy bar (7") last night. I used my buddy's chop-saw in lieu of my trusty grinder. Best decision I've made in a long time. Then all I did was burnish the edges a bit with a file and all went together like Legos. That being said, proper measuring is the key. Ended up having to only use 1ea 10mm spacer, looks really clean.
assembled spring.jpg

sissy cut.jpg

fork done.jpg

The Factory blue and 125th graphics are growing on me, really pops with the chrome. May have to rename this thread. I ordered the white repop decals for the chain guard, too. May use the mags on my '68 Schwinn...who knows.
I also wanted to run a reflector out back, but I wasn't going to pay stupid money for a vintage Stratolite. Here's what I came up with. I did use a re-pop bracket, but I wanted to tuck the reflector up inside, so I made an extension. Still need to trim the excess off the bolt.
ref1.jpg
ref2.jpg
ref4.jpg

Next, I'm going to resize a chain that I have and take it for a quick putt up/down the street. Its REALLY smokey here in California now from all the fires, so I wont be doing any strenuousness activities today. Yards will have to wait too.

Latest posts

Back