2017 MBBO#06 and 2018 WBO thread (Countdown clocks on page 2.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm new to this, but gonna give the WBO scratch built class a go. I've read the rules and I'm clear as what I can and can not do/use......just curious about wheels/tires......can we use whatever, as long as they are pedal/chain driven.....
I think you're safe with store bought wheels. I don't know if anyone here has the equipment to make their own rims and tires.
irzouts has built his own wheels, so has Luke and probably a few others, but I don't think any of us have "made" tires yet either.
I'm so close to being able to get in the Scratch Built class... but not yet, not quite yet...
Is the WBO a "one entry" BO?

Carl.

Is the WBO a "one entry" BO?

Carl.
I hope not,in the past it never has...
I am also thinking now of sticking a entry in the scratch built and on/two in the vintage. My new frame has landed in Greece,so hopefully by end of week it is here. I am busy until the 6th, and in the between time it is time to clean the workshop and have the parts ready.
I also ave a 5 year old wanting to build a bike(bmx) so might enter him if he holds interest....

Just thought of a name for my Silver King build...
Tyranny & Mutation
Blue_Oyster_Cult-Tyranny_and_Mutation.jpg

Guitarl.

Last edited:
I wish that I could've entered my build Skin Deep for the WBO, but it doesn't seem to fit any of the rules. I've been getting my jig ready and I'll probably actually start work at about the same time as the rest of you. :( Maybe it'll get done quick and I can start another one for the bo. :happy:

I wish that I could've entered my build Skin Deep for the WBO, but it doesn't seem to fit any of the rules. I've been getting my jig ready and I'll probably actually start work at about the same time as the rest of you. Maybe it'll get done quick and I can start another one for the bo.

Skin Deep definitely doesn’t fit the Vintage category but I thought you’d be ok for the Scratch-Built category and upon re-reading the rules, I see what you mean… you’re using the donor bike “back triangle” and “previously welded together sections” of frame tubing that disqualifies it from the Scratch-Built category.

Vintage bikes are usually quite expensive here when they turn up, which isn’t that often, so vintage is out for me if I want to participate. So it’ll be Scratch-Built if I enter and I do have an idea of what to do.

For those that might not have seen them, here are the WBO rules…

Vintage: Would rather not have a specific date limit on it, but if it is mass produced in China, it probably doesn't belong, think more of Chicago Schwinns, Spaceliners, Elgins, you get the idea...
Obviously this could put those outside the USA at a disadvantage, but what about lugged English Raleigh frames or similar? They are everywhere! Start looking around and I am sure most of us could find something old and interesting. Frame modifications are allowed!

Scratch-Built: Let's use the Uncle Stretch definition of Scratch-Built: "In order to qualify for a scratch built bike, you have to build it complete. If you use the head tube and bottom bracket from a built bike, that is acceptable, but you have to build the frame. That includes the back triangle."
You can use tubing from bike frames, but not previously welded together sections. You can use factory produced forks though!
We are seeing a lot of builders stepping into the scratch-built area and want to give them somewhere to play!

I wish that I could've entered my build Skin Deep for the WBO, but it doesn't seem to fit any of the rules. I've been getting my jig ready and I'll probably actually start work at about the same time as the rest of you. :( Maybe it'll get done quick and I can start another one for the bo. :happy:
The rear triangle makes it hard to enter. If you don't have the right equipment. I always use other donar parts esp the rear end. Something tells me won't be many entries, but I will attempt to have a go and bring to life a bit of history... If I can.

I picked up this today and I'm wondering if it'll be ok for the Vintage category...

Healing_10SE.jpg

It's a Healing 10-SE, probably from the 1970s. I had a brand new one that I bought in 1980 but it wasn't a lugged frame like this one which makes me think this must be 1970s.

I gave all my parts away at the beginning of 2017, so I have to literally start from scratch with parts collecting. If this is ok as a Vintage, then I might use it as is. If not, I'll use some of the parts on a scratch build.

Anyone know how I can identify the year of this?

Glen.

I picked up this today and I'm wondering if it'll be ok for the Vintage category...

View attachment 68286

It's a Healing 10-SE, probably from the 1970s. I had a brand new one that I bought in 1980 but it wasn't a lugged frame like this one which makes me think this must be 1970s.

I gave all my parts away at the beginning of 2017, so I have to literally start from scratch with parts collecting. If this is ok as a Vintage, then I might use it as is. If not, I'll use some of the parts on a scratch build.

Anyone know how I can identify the year of this?

Glen.
I'd say it fits the vintage rules, Luke mentioned lugged frames for countries outside the states.

I think it sucks that we didn't export bikes over seas, I'd love to see what folks like you, Luke, funk, and many others could do with an old CWC frame.

I'd say it fits the vintage rules, Luke mentioned lugged frames for countries outside the states.

I think it sucks that we didn't export bikes over seas, I'd love to see what folks like you, Luke, funk, and many others could do with an old CWC frame.

So would I!

Yeah, I reckon the Healing will be ok in Vintage category... so now I have to figure out what to do with it.

I do have an idea for a scratch build with a name sorted and everything, so we'll see what eventuates.

:39:

I like big old diamond frames...
One of these days I'm gonna cut one up. I'd like to see the seat tube cut down to about 10 inches and make a stretch looking BMX bike outa one. Reeeaal looong and looowww. But Ya gotta find a steel frame if yer a hack like me, I can't weld on alloy...
So for now it's just another idea...

Carl.

I like big old diamond frames...
One of these days I'm gonna cut one up. I'd like to see the seat tube cut down to about 10 inches and make a stretch looking BMX bike outa one. Reeeaal looong and looowww. But Ya gotta find a steel frame if yer a hack like me, I can't weld on alloy...
So for now it's just another idea...

Carl.

Yup... a hack like you! All of these old healings are steel as far as I'm aware. Here's an excerpt from https://teara.govt.nz/en/bicycles/page-2

"In 1963 Morrison Industries began producing bikes almost completely from New Zealand-made parts. The new Glenbrook steel mill provided the raw material, and the government helped the local bike manufacturer by reducing bicycle import quotas by 90%. In the 1970s, 90% of all bikes sold in New Zealand were locally made.

Healing Industries started manufacturing bicycles in 1967 and had early successes with the Loline, which, with its 20-inch (50-centimetre) wheel, competed with the imported Raleigh 20. Healing’s Dragster was the local equivalent of the Raleigh Chopper, with a central gear shift and motorcycle-style seat. In the late 1970s Healing Industries produced up to 700 10-speeds a day for the local and export markets."

I'm with you on the "looong and looowww" too... just check out my signature line :happy:

Glen.

I found that Italy copied a lot of Americano frames... I have a cwc frame,it went cheap and postage was worth it...151220121159.jpg 151220121154.jpg 151220121158.jpg 100420131718.jpg 17052012062.jpg

I found that Italy copied a lot of Americano frames... I have a cwc frame,it went cheap and postage was worth it...
That's the type of frame that I'd like to find someday. That big belly looking down tube seems to me like it just needs a motor tucked in there. I've got a gas motor stashed to build one, just need the frame. No Chinese oilmix motors for me...

Carl.

That's the type of frame that I'd like to find someday. That big belly looking down tube seems to me like it just needs a motor tucked in there. I've got a gas motor stashed to build one, just need the frame. No Chinese oilmix motors for me...

Carl.
You must be able to get them where you are.... This is a 1939 wards/hawthorne. They sold the forks and frame seperate on ebay. I think I payed less than $30,if I remember it was under 100 in total with the shipping. Worth it for the shape of the frame,very curvy.

Well it is the 1st here,when can we start building... Happy New Year from this side of the pond.

Well it is the 1st here,when can we start building... Happy New Year from this side of the pond.

It's been the 1st here for ages. It's nearly 8pm here now. I think it goes by USA central time? I'm in no hurry to start so I'll just wait patiently.

Happy New Year.

It's been the 1st here for ages. It's nearly 8pm here now. I think it goes by USA central time? I'm in no hurry to start so I'll just wait patiently.

Happy New Year.
yeah I know,They USA must be up now. Have not heard from LuketheJoker in a while,hope all is okay downunder.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back