2017 MBBO#06 and 2018 WBO thread (Countdown clocks on page 2.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still not sure on my plan, but I am thinking of an early Muscle/BMX crossover build:

Muscle frame, knobby tires, ape hangers with a cross bar added, banana seat and number plates.

Been wanting to build one in that style for a while, no idea if I have a suitable 20" wheelset in the pile though, will have a look tomorrow.

To many rules for the winter build-off,so I am out. Prefer less rules for the winter as it makes more fun.

To many rules for the winter build-off,so I am out. Prefer less rules for the winter as it makes more fun.
Sunshine, I think you and I both know if we can find the right frame to get into the vintage class, from there on it's pretty much sky's the limit since frame mods ARE allowed.
I limp thru the Autumn here in the midwest, because as cool as muscle bikes are, I'm just not a MB guy. I also get a lot of home remodeling side work as the summer fades... So I always look forward to the WBO. Since I've yet to get all the scratch building gear installed into one garage. It looks like I'm in the Vintage class.

Guitarl.

Sunshine, I think you and I both know if we can find the right frame to get into the vintage class, from there on it's pretty much sky's the limit since frame mods ARE allowed.
I limp thru the Autumn here in the midwest, because as cool as muscle bikes are, I'm just not a MB guy. I also get a lot of home remodeling side work as the summer fades... So I always look forward to the WBO. Since I've yet to get all the scratch building gear installed into one garage. It looks like I'm in the Vintage class.

Guitarl.
:39: I do have a Girlies Higgins colorflow,that I would like to transform into a boys. My idea was to just sort o restore it....
Had other thoughts on a scratch build,but it's the one time I actually wanted to use frame parts.:grin: So that went out the window with the rules.:21:
How it was...
1940's JC Higgins.jpg

Needs a new rear end,the rack and guard are missing.
240120122030.jpg

Need new spokes.
240120122033.jpg

Last edited:
If it is a bicycle based scooter (kick scooter) it will be fine, if it is a motor based scooter then it belongs in the other talk section.

I guess if you cut up a vintage bike into a scooter it could fit in the Vintage area, but if you are building a new rear triangle as well it might be better in Scratch Built.
Been thinking of building a scoot also,but motorized....:39:

I'm pretty sure I'll have my hands on an aluminum Silver King frame soon. So I'm in the vintage class with no problem. Of course, there's "UnDeu the Rulebreaker" I've yet to build... how many entries are we allowed in the Winter Build Off?

Carl.

I'm pretty sure I'll have my hands on an aluminum Silver King frame soon. So I'm in the vintage class with no problem. Of course, there's "UnDeu the Rulebreaker" I've yet to build... how many entries are we allowed in the Winter Build Off?

Carl.
Reply was thinking the same thing....
Something is coming my way,not sure what it is,but has a few interesting parts on it.
s-l1600.jpg

Well my first choice entry for the WBO came today via bike flights from New Mexico. 1936 Silver King, and I got a mock-up 26 x 2.3 tire on a 1.75 rim to fit.
d8a28f67363d2da0a0d7f87c4b650a63.jpg

So with a mock-up fork and wheels, and fresh out of the shipping box here is a quick preview.
4fd6f25f404052685dcdeffb1cf38a5b.jpg

It's bare bones and as my friend Aaron said, a blank pallette...

Carl.

Well my first choice entry for the WBO came today via bike flights from New Mexico. 1936 Silver King, and I got a mock-up 26 x 2.3 tire on a 1.75 rim to fit.
d8a28f67363d2da0a0d7f87c4b650a63.jpg

So with a mock-up fork and wheels, and fresh out of the shipping box here is a quick preview.
4fd6f25f404052685dcdeffb1cf38a5b.jpg

It's bare bones and as my friend Aaron said, a blank pallette...

Carl.
Cool Frame! Will be a good build to watch!

[emoji106][emoji106]

That Cyclops is a 2.3? Seems like a 2.4. Definitely a tight fit. I like the look.

Building..... Riding.....

Cool Frame! Will be a good build to watch!
[emoji106][emoji106]
That Cyclops is a 2.3? Seems like a 2.4. Definitely a tight fit. I like the look.

Building..... Riding.....
Thanks. I have a friend with one and I always thought it was a cool bike. AND you were correct it is a 2.4. I should've remembered I have a pair of them and the other is on the back of Wasteland on a 57mm wide rim that I laced to a 2 speed kicker.
IMG_729311.jpg
Might have to see if this combo fits on the Silver King.

Carl.

KIMG1670.JPG
Anybody else have a plan for the WBO?

Carl.

Last edited:
4 more days.... I have even thought of a scratch built bike now....

Well I'm new to this, but gonna give the WBO scratch built class a go. I've read the rules and I'm clear as what I can and can not do/use......just curious about wheels/tires......can we use whatever, as long as they are pedal/chain driven.....
I think you're safe with store bought wheels. I don't know if anyone here has the equipment to make their own rims and tires.

I think you're safe with store bought wheels. I don't know if anyone here has the equipment to make their own rims and tires.

Oh, I think something like this could be quite doable...

shoe_bike-ModMechx-sep31-x640.jpg

Latest posts

Back