2017 MBBO#06 and 2018 WBO thread (Countdown clocks on page 2.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Starting out early here because there will be some changes for the two mini build-offs this time!

Starting with the Muscle Bike Build-Off:

2 classes as before, voted individually, Class 1 stays with the stricter rules from last year:

Class 1: Will now be only for rebuilt and refurbished original muscle bikes or accurate reproductions of an original muscle bike in their original sizes. Period correct accessories are encouraged.

Class 2: Will revert to the 2 out 3 rule: Must meet at least 2 of the following 3 criteria to be considered a Muscle Bike:

1: Rear tire larger than the front. (wider or taller or both.)
2: Banana seat.
3: Ape hanger bars.

You can of course have all three.

Time frame will be the usual 3 months: September 1st 2017 to December 1st 2017

Now to the themed Winter Build-Off:

Builders will have 2 options, Vintage or Scratch-Built. This is to reflect the two styles of builds that RatRodBikes is famous for and we would like to see more of! :113: Both groups will be voted on together as one.

Vintage: Would rather not have a specific date limit on it, but if it is mass produced in China, it probably doesn't belong, think more of Chicago Schwinns, Spaceliners, Elgins, you get the idea...
Obviously this could put those outside the USA at a disadvantage, but what about lugged English Raleigh frames or similar? They are everywhere! Start looking around and I am sure most of us could find something old and interesting. Frame modifications are allowed!

Scratch-Built: Let's use the Uncle Stretch definition of Scratch-Built: "In order to qualify for a scratch built bike, you have to build it complete. If you use the head tube and bottom bracket from a built bike, that is acceptable, but you have to build the frame. That includes the back triangle."
You can use tubing from bike frames, but not previously welded together sections. You can use factory produced forks though!
We are seeing a lot of builders stepping into the scratch-built area and want to give them somewhere to play!

Time frame will be the usual 3 months: January 1st 2018 to April 1st 2018.

Only posting this early due to the changes, we don't want people preparing for one thing only to find out we are doing something else.

Please don't skip doing the big build-off just to do these, the big build-off should remain the big event it has always been! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Woohoo I have til September to get my scratch build gear in order... Including the never ending promised move to the new garage (and home). MBO rules look good too. Yay, Luke!

Carl.

Nice! Thanks for posting these early! Already have a muscle bike in the que for the MBBO, picked up a Columbia playbike for the girl last summer as a decoy to distract her from thinking I got her an Elgin, which I did... its rough, needs everything replaced, perfect for the buildoff! Plenty of time to figure out next winter yet, right now I am itching for the big build off starting may 1st!

keep the rubber side down!

I have almost everything for the big build off in a few days and have an idea for the class two in sep. I will know later today if my idea will work and if it does, I will start collecting parts for it

So will there be another "anything goes build off" in Jan to March
2018 as well? Really like how this build off got me motivated to
finish a couple of rusty-dusty projects off?!
Not this time sorry Pirate, we decided that running an Anything Goes/Unfinished build-off should be a rare thing, otherwise people could build all year and enter at the last minute.

There is of course nothing to stop people building in the regular build area or even starting a mini build-off with another member or two if a deadline is needed.

The time slot that was the 2017 Unfinished/Anything Goes last time will be the 2018 Vintage/Scratch Built build-off.

@LukeTheJoker I've read the rules for the vintage/scratch build off, and I keep thinking about the possibility of a scooter build off that was proposed somewhere.

Will a scooter build fit the category/rules?

I ask because in U.S's definition it says head tube and bottom bracket can be used from another bike, but scooters don't have a bottom bracket.

For that matter, if I cut up a bike to build a scooter; would that fit the vintage guidelines?

@LukeTheJoker I've read the rules for the vintage/scratch build off, and I keep thinking about the possibility of a scooter build off that was proposed somewhere.

Will a scooter build fit the category/rules?

I ask because in U.S's definition it says head tube and bottom bracket can be used from another bike, but scooters don't have a bottom bracket.
If it is a bicycle based scooter (kick scooter) it will be fine, if it is a motor based scooter then it belongs in the other talk section.

For that matter, if I cut up a bike to build a scooter; would that fit the vintage guidelines?

I guess if you cut up a vintage bike into a scooter it could fit in the Vintage area, but if you are building a new rear triangle as well it might be better in Scratch Built.

Not this time sorry Pirate, we decided that running an Anything Goes/Unfinished build-off should be a rare thing, otherwise people could build all year and enter at the last minute.

Yep I'm with you good point, just liked being motivated to
finish off a couple of dusty, rusty projects, thanks LTJ!

I've been waiting for the upcoming MBBO since about five minutes after last years ended.
They certainly have become a big feature of the forum!
Crazy when I think about the first one we did with just 6 builders all building in one thread!

Got my frame for the M.B.B.O

1c34a7c0140d269a01c01aaa6b518866.jpg

I'll have to cut it up to get it home, but I have an idea.

Got my frame for the M.B.B.O

1c34a7c0140d269a01c01aaa6b518866.jpg

I'll have to cut it up to get it home, but I have an idea.
We're gonna need a step by step description of the build...

Merle. :crazy:

Fat tires on back...
A pair of apehangers...
A bunch of bananas...
Hmm.
0261b9b7e8972584c7236c1149389b0a.jpg

Guitarl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back