20" Mini Bomber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had this little machine fall into my lap. The frame's pretty cool so I think I'll make a miniature faux Schwinn 'Planes and Trains' klunker out of it.

I didn't think to take an intact 'before shot', it came apart so much easier than the rust would indicate that after a few minutes here and there at work it was apart before I knew it. Anyway, the exploded view...

I really like the little dog leg crank, and it's even straight!

Here's the frame. I don't know what it is, Columbia maybe, doesn't really matter...

At first I planned to run a BMX style fork, I ordered one that was just the right length and also had a 22.2 ID that would work with a vintage stem. Then I stumbled onto a used Schwinn fork while I was searching for something else on Ebay. I think this is the look I'll go with instead. FWIW, I found a 'bonus' broken stem bolt and frozen wedge in the fork (no extra charge!) but it removed easily using Finish Line 'Chill Zone" lubricant.

I have an Araya 7X/Bendix Red Band rear/Schwinn front wheelset that I built up years ago for another project. It's been a looong time since I could order new 7Xs!

Built it up as a 'dry run' just to make sure there weren't any deal breakers, but it went together quite nicely. Popped on some Cheng Shin tires that at least bear a passing resemblance to the old Uniroyal 'Nobbys'. Cut down some old struts and bent them into shape. The only problem is the headset- I think I need a 1 1/8" fork, the headset I put in was way too small..... :wink: ...Nah, just needed a Wald 4080... :mrgreen:

Not sure what I'm doing for paint, probably a faux patina to try and match the fork. Probably some changes to parts like a more patina'd chainring, different bars, or? Of course those grips have to go, I didn't realize the AME Tri minis were slotted for brake levers, oops. I sure wish Brooks made a children's size B72 saddle! That's one area that can wait, the final build won't happen until a spell of good painting weather arrives...

Here it is as it will sit for a while...

:)

Is a little kid going to be the recipient of this bike? If so, that's one lucky kid!

Wildcat said:
Is a little kid going to be the recipient of this bike? If so, that's one lucky kid!

Someday.

But I'll have to wait for grandchildren...

In the meantime I'll need to find a neighborhood kid to dirty up the tires!

:wink:

Sweet ride, you have inspired me Sir. I have a basket case 24 inch skip tooth clunker that needs some Big time TLC. That might be my next project,

Cool project. That's a fat little bike you have there. 8) Find a seat that came on a 26" girls balloon Schwinn. The girls seats look great on a small frame boys bike and cheap too. This is a 24" with a girls seat off a '54 Panther. Gary

Like the rims and the fact that they aren't gonna rust..I rob wheels off unwanted 20 inch suspension bikes for my projects and love them. (see the back rim of the Swingbike)

Nice job on the bike too..the tires look the perfect size.

Latest posts

Back