2 CWC builds..Finally an update and road test !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So....here we go...Bike #1 was supposed to be in this years build off but I had to pull out because I knew I would not meet the deadline. This is a 1942? CWC Speed Master serial # A04410. This is a lightweight (my only one) with blacked out parts. I plan on a complete cleaning followed by clear coat for protection. I want this bike to be my regular rider so I am putting some 700c wheels and an Nexus 7 speed for the hills. All original parts will be saved if I ever want to put it back that way.
Bike #2 is a 1953 CWC Road Master heavyweight cruiser. Serial # J87207 53. I decided to do this side by side build becasue they are my 2 CWC bikes and while I wait for paint or parts for one I can continue work on the other...at least thats the plan now :)
This bike had the original paint roughly sanded and repainted black. The original color was green with white accents and red and white pinstripes. I plan to strip and repaint this bike with original style paint work but perhaps with a little flair to it. I will wire brush the chrome and clearcoat...I also picked up a tank for this beast...should look cool
Bike #1 Speed Master as found

Pedals were very rusted so I went with a repaint

Cleaning inch by inch

Starting to reassemble after cleaning and a satin clear coat

As it stands at this point...not sure if I should paint the wheels???....Not sure if I should go with some white or creme tires??? Looking for a seat and also need the proper washers for the Nexus and reverse dropouts

Bike #2 CWC Road Master as found

Copper plating on handle bars?????

So that is where I am as of today...

Both looking good!
The copper is sometimes plated onto parts first before the chrome plating, it helps with adhesion and finish.

Luke.
AFAIK, copper plating is almost always used as a step in the chrome-plating process. Smooths out imperfections and, as Luke said, helps make the chrome stick properly to the substrate. Most chrome, i've read, is a 3 step process: copper, then nickel, then chrome. That's part of why it's so expensive.... a lot of time, labor, and materials involved....

Thanks for the info on the copper....after using the Fine wheel on the grinder, and some gloss clear coat the copper on the bars looks very cool...going with them as they are

sweet man! I gotta 53 CWC Western Flyer recently I'm in the process of building up! Going with some apes from a Sears Spyder though, I can't deal with the small cockpit

here is the Speed Master with a 700c peaked rim...I want to black out the hubs but not sure what to do with the wheels and tire color

Got the white on the Road Master and some seat parts painted satin black

While still trying to decide ( would love some opinions from readers) as what color, if any, to make the wheels and tires on the SPEED MASTER (after blacking out the hubs)......and waiting for the white paint for the darts on the ROAD MASTER to cure before masking.......I got the ROAD MASTER seat completed

After a long delay, finally got the Speed Master together and road tested. I am using some 700c tires I had on hand but they are too tall for the fenders...I will get different tires because I really want the peaked fenders on the bike. I also have to mess with the shifter cable for a cleaner look.
The bike rode GREAT !!! Very smooth and fast and using the friction shifter with the 7 speed along with the skip tooth worked like a charm !!!

Looks great, and probably is light and fast. If the seat is too springy, take the front spring off, it will seem more stable. I have a black seat just like yours.
6zy83s.jpg

Matching grips for that seat would look nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments...thanks for the seat advice wildcat...I was actually looking at the seat yesterday and wondering if taking off the front spring would work...now that you showed me that it does...I am on it!!!!
Also the idea about matching grips is GREAT !!!!! Now ...does anyone know where to score some grips the same color as the seat???

Just tried to take front spring out of the seat but I can not catch any threads on the top bolt after it passes through the frame....too short...and I can not see how it could be replaced with the longer bolt from the bottom.....any suggestions?????

Latest posts

Back