1HP ELGIN ''UndeadCustom'' FINISHED!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once the clear is dulled down this thing should look just right.
The graphics look great, nice detail work with the 38. I like how the tailing end looks lifted off the tank, should look cool on the real thing.

Once the clear is dulled down this thing should look just right.
The graphics look great, nice detail work with the 38. I like how the tailing end looks lifted off the tank, should look cool on the real thing.
Thanks , the lifted part would not be there , its just the shadow of the 2d graphic in front of the 3d tank :wink1:

Ooh yeah !
Graphics done!
I basically ditched all the previous desings and free handed this one right on it,
its a little inspired by the 41 Elgin's tank
tanks and fender still need the Aged threatment,
then a coat of mat clear over everything
DSCN6356_zpsahaadylp.jpg

DSCN6357_zpsh8jfgf2e.jpg

you can see that the light fork and stem already received the aged threat
DSCN6358_zpsuhutppz2.jpg

also ditched the spring fork retainer and made that little piece on top of the fork that will act as a stopper hitting the top tube just over the tank :nerd::thumbsup:

Aw man, you are having waaaay too much fun with this bike!!! Looks great 1hp. Some day I will find a frame like that and get to work!

well .. seems like every store in the city have stop selling Mat finish clear ... wth?!
you guys know a magic technique to dull my satin finish to mat ?
scuffing it with green pad leave noticable marks , wet sand is dirty and won't get every corners

rubbing with paint thinner maybe ?:39:

That's one beyond me.
Maybe some 5000 grit paper, saw some at autozone a few weeks ago.

Possibly thick muddy water and a tooth brush?
Just throwing ideas out there.

mygosh! what have i done to my beautiful paint job :eek: :giggle: :thumbsup:
while prepping the surfaces with the scuffing pad , i realized that it does not do that bad of a job after all , with a used pad rubbing it in circle lightly just dulls the shine to something a little different than mat finish , a little more "authentic" ill say .. i have a hard time deciding if i want that little more polished look of a fresh coat of mat clear or that dull rustic finish look in the pic

what you guys think ? leave it or mat clear it ? :39:
or maybe even leave it and wax it if i change mind ?

DSCN6360_zpswqtwo6tc.jpg

Last edited:
Looks real good.
Its a tough choice to make without seeing the clear on it, but for that old patina look I think I'd leave it.
As you said you could always wax it if you change your mind, or maybe some boiled linseed oil?

i assembled it , took a ride in the sun , looked at it , and realized i find it too dull :doh: so when ill know what i do with the wheels i will disasemble it for like the 6th time and mat clear it (assuming i can find some)

Looks cool as is, matches the original frame finish well.
That said you could get it wet and see how it looks...
That would probably be close to the mat finish you're thinking of.
Whatever you do, you could do it to the frame too, so it will blend together.

Carl.

Looks cool as is, matches the original frame finish well.
That said you could get it wet and see how it looks...
That would probably be close to the mat finish you're thinking of.
Whatever you do, you could do it to the frame too, so it will blend together.

Carl.
sure it match the frame finish , cause its the same finish :giggle: you missed the post were i clearcoated everything in satin , but found it to shinny , so i scuffed it to this dull finish ;):)

i found some Mat clear coat (for car rims) in rattle can , but waiting to buy a multispeed hub and do the rims at the same time ... i chose (oil rubbed bronze) almost black for the rim color , should look sweet ...

but for now, iam in my winter mood , (work and ski):D

Heh ! almost forgot i had a thread :giggle:
i just realized i never shown you the painted bike with the wheels on . still no satin clear on and no painted rims tho
DSCN6453_zpsq2irot4v.jpg
DSCN6454_zpsrrya0mnj.jpg

added some adhesive foam mat in the tank to absorb noise and shocks;)
DSCN6455_zpsii0odoxa.jpg

Latest posts

Back