1995 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I picked this up yesterday off Craig's List. I paid his asking price of $60 even though it has been on there for about 6 weeks. The plan is to put on a 30 tooth chainring and studded tires and use it for an ice bike. It was stored in a wood shed so even though it wasn't used much the winter moisture over 25 years caused some rust. If I wanted to I could replace the rusted chrome from the same parts I have in my junk.
IMG_1796.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG

1995 anniversary decal
IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

Radio Shack AM - FM bicycle radio from 1995. I may have to make it into a Clunker and blast tunes on single track.
IMG_1802.JPG

Rad boombox, dude!

So far all I'm getting static out here in the middle of somewhere. I have to take it off and remove the batteries. I'm afraid the batteries will leak or the plastic will crack, it was 3 F this morning which is not good for plastic. I'm looking forward to cruising and booming.

I think it's a weather radio and it's should be telling you theirs a
freeze warning , stay inside . The Cruiser supreme don't look nothing like
my 92 24" frame one . I like the klunker look better .

Attachments

• cruis supreme.jpg
    cruis supreme.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
I spoke to the local bike shop about my plan to turn the Schwinn Cruiser Supreme into an ice bike Klunker. Their unanimous conclusion was to leave it alone. It a 100th anniversary bike with all the stickers and bone stock and even the seat has no scuff marks. The bike shop felt that even though it isn't that old or valuable yet that it should be preserved as an original. So, the new plan is to remove the rear rack and radio and then oil the chain and store it for summer. I'll have to find a new bike to replace my worn out ice bike. The salt has made the brakes pretty sketchy and I'm tried of removing the V brakes and sanding the rust off the pegs. Once these pegs rust its an annual problem unless you disassemble, sand with 400 wet dry and then use copious oil. I think if I get a bike with good pegs I can disassemble it and oil them and they won't rust. You gotta get them before they start to rust. I'm looking for a 90s rigid mountain bike to put my studded tires on. My wife told me that the studded tires are unnecessary as there is already a stud on it, ha ha.

Lol us5, you are a hero, stud on wheels!
Maybe a cheapo mechanical disk brake setup would fare better in the salt

I like my Avid mechanical brakes. Nice and lite and inexpensive. I used them on my carbon mountain bike for the Marj Gesick. The problem is that I douse everything in oil to make it resistant to salt and I ruined my fat bike brake hydraulic calipers with too much oil on them. Every year everything gets a coat including the spoke nipples and then it gets into the brakes. They still work but the howling noise is annoying in the extreme. In fact your suggestion gives me an idea. I have a 2002 Specialized full suspension that I put Avid mechanical discs on years ago. It originally had V brakes. I also put a narrow wide chainring on it and a 50 tooth rear cassette. I only used it once last year. The front suspension is a spring only pogo stick that bounces like crazy but it would work good locked out for ice. This would be a perfect bike to put my studs on. I could be careful putting oil on the spoke nipples instead of spraying the whole wheel, but that is to like me. This bike has high quality rims, but they are non matching as I toasted one a long time ago. Thanks for the idea. I'm going to do this. I didn't know what to do with this bike as it is rapidly getting way obsolete, worth nothing as a mountain bike but I had too much $ in it to throw it away sell it for next to nothing. I don't feel like stripping it either. Great idea. I might even get a second set of studded tires so that two can ride?

The 100th anniversary phantoms have proven collectible...and there are definitely people trying to make the cruiser deluxes collectible (I've seen shops trying to sell them for $1200...and I've seen them on CL for $50 :grin:)...but, I don't think the Cruiser Supremes will ever be 'collectible'.

The 100th anniversary phantoms have proven collectible...and there are definitely people trying to make the cruiser deluxes collectible (I've seen shops trying to sell them for $1200...and I've seen them on CL for $50 :grin:)...but, I don't think the Cruiser Supremes will ever be 'collectible'.
index.php

I don't know how 'collectible' they are, has they were not made in Chicago...
But the Giant manufactured bikes made in Taiwan are awesome riders and very "rat friendly". Budget friendly too. This black frame and fenders was bought from a swap for $20 from a seller who picked it up for the alloy wheels and 7 speed nexus. I had a ratty Cruiser four - so I just moved over the missing parts. We probably don't have $200 total in the pair. They both are nexus 4 coaster equipped. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back