1988 Schwinn Prelude

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLCTVWguy

Rollin' on 20's
Pro Member
Reaction score
Just picked this one up this morning... a co-worker got it from a neighbor while going through yard sale stuff that didn't sell.

It's an original 1988 Schwinn Prelude. A 12-speed super-lightweight racing bike. It was apparently offered along with the similar Premis. This bike has Tenax Cr-Mo tubes, 700 Weinmann aluminum rims with reinforced nipples and Presta valves, Suntour derailleurs with down-tube shifters.

The original paint is really good with only a couple nicks. It's a yellow-to-white fade, with red and black graphics on it. The seat is a Selle with silly 80's geometric graphics on it. The white cloth on the seat is surprisingly still nice.

Headbadge date yielded a code of 0288, 28th day of 1988. After carrying around 40-lb Schwinns all weekend, it's amazing picking this thing up, I bet it's less than 20 lbs.

If I can ever get any air in the tires, it looks like it'll be rideable. Going to need one rear derailleur cable. I think it'll make a lovely road bike, if I ever get into such a thing.

Pics soon, sorry to tease you with no photos. Should have them tomorrow.

--Rob

sounds really cool. i have an 86' schwinn tempo 12speed that i love to ride, or at least i did, and even did a few races with it. i'll have to check up on you when you get some picts up.

Well I got some air in those Presta valves and ignored for now the fact that it won't shift, and took it for a spin. Man is this bike light!

88prelude1.jpg

The bike has not yet been cleaned. This is just how I got it.

88prelude12.jpg

That seat is something else! Soooooo 80s. I have a Giant-built Fairlady that has graphics from the same psychedelic place...

88prelude3.jpg

It feels very light. Makes me wonder, since new bikes are carbon and ceramic and whatever else, where will we be in another 20 years from now?

88prelude6.jpg

The tires claim to be 700x25 on their sidewalls. They are nowhere near that wide. Thinnest tires I've ever seen, let alone ridden on. NOT the bike for the Air Line Trail.

88prelude2.jpg

Questions comments requests for one of your own all welcome!

--Rob

I wonder if that seat is worth anything; I've seen some of the older Selle seats go for decent money.

That seat probably IS worth something and most likely is not original to the bike.

Reminds me of the Voyageur I had in high school! Mine had 27" aluminum rims that were destroyed by suburban NJ streets! I had to find an old Varsity on the curb for some steel wheels! ~Adam

I have a Grey Prelude. . . I can say this bike is fast! I love flying by guys on their 2000 dollar trek! I must say though, the tires. . . yeah thin! I can't even keep from getting the speed wobbles in top gear! I still have yet to max this bike out. Just cruising I was hit by one of those radar signs doing 28. I was fortunate enough to get this bike in almost perfect condition.

Hmmmm Columbus tubing.... These were some of the cream of the crop road bikes Schwinn put out made with nice Italian Columbus tubing. I've been actually looking around on eBay looking for a Columbus tubed Schwinn road bike frames like the Prelude, Tempo, Peloton, Circuit, Passage, Premis, Prologue, Voyageur are all I can think of right now.

I found one a while back..super light to bad its a smaller frame..
100_1281.jpg

I have an 87 mens Prelude in Ice Pink. Super light and fast. Perfectly sized for me and got it cheap. It has a couple nicks, but is almost showroom condition. I had not been on a roadbike in a few years, and was blown away by how quickly I got up to speeds I can only achieve downhill on my old cruisers.

Latest posts

Back