1982 Schwinn Sidewinder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It’s a start! Not sure how it ended up in Idaho from New Smyrna Beach, Fl. Th rear tire is og but the front is Cheng shing, idk if it was a multi speed bike originally but the rear hub is suntour (I’ve seen derailures on the multi speeds with suntour) but can’t find any info on the single speed hubs/bikes for this year/model. Thinking I’ll build a 26” bmx with aftermarket components until I find the og, still don’t know if I want to make it a multi speed since all my bikes are coaster brake bikes but I think the single speed still had a freewheel. Any info or parts would be great. Also... cheap way for a bike stand, just hang a j hook from the rafters.
C08BB6E2-AC5B-4B08-BE43-A8BED3017AFD.jpeg
59666214-F3B2-4B30-8212-6BCA9C0741B1.jpeg
E7791CA8-4DC1-4D2E-B81F-75A9AC77C998.jpeg

Nice bike!

Looking at your "Bike Stand", and after fooling with a worn out rear derailleur for a while yesterday, I'm going to hang the whole bike from the front wheel and get it up where I can see what is going on!

It’s a start! Not sure how it ended up in Idaho from New Smyrna Beach, Fl. Th rear tire is og but the front is Cheng shing, idk if it was a multi speed bike originally but the rear hub is suntour (I’ve seen derailures on the multi speeds with suntour) but can’t find any info on the single speed hubs/bikes for this year/model. Thinking I’ll build a 26” bmx with aftermarket components until I find the og, still don’t know if I want to make it a multi speed since all my bikes are coaster brake bikes but I think the single speed still had a freewheel. Any info or parts would be great. Also... cheap way for a bike stand, just hang a j hook from the rafters. View attachment 126285View attachment 126286View attachment 126287
Cool find! I've got an 82 that I found here in Minnesota with a Longmont Colorado license.
IMG_20190903_182517316_HDR.jpg

Very cool!

The catalog from 82 says one speed freewheel along with 5 and 10 speeds. But in the description it says coaster brake. I'm thinking that was an oversight and it was freewheel as a one speed. Here's the history page on Sidewinder:
https://bikehistory.org/bikes/sidewinder/

Cool find! I've got an 82 that I found here in Minnesota with a Longmont Colorado license.
Longmont is my 'hood. I have a small collection of Longmont plates and put them on restos and custom restos that go to people who live here. They like that touch.

7845A0D4-E8D8-4EB6-A3C5-DEE520D675CF.jpeg
2715CBD8-900D-48E8-A5E5-8F73B7511B63.jpeg

Found some wheels! My buddy in town just gave these to me!

I recently bought hubs and the brake setups from the Cabe, reached out to cancel that deal but was to late and it was shipped already. So... I’ll have an extra setup if anyone is looking.

Latest posts

Back