1979 schwinn collegiate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Kept seeing this pop up on the Facebook market. I'll probably do a low buck banana seat bike build.
cf229e0ac7f155979bbe5b39e09c31f8.jpg
bb2bf41ed3897553ffa83d6935101a12.jpg
3baf64c0639694b550872d123d129be0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must be a rare/ unpopular model. I thought I'd see a few on the web. I can't wait to clean this up and get it running again

I don't know about that--I have TWO of 'em. Well...one is a Speedster and the other a Varsity, but they are among my favorite Schwinn frames. Kinda on the small side for a big guy like me, tho.

Yours isn't wearing the dreaded ISO 597 tire, is it? Those S-6 hoops can severely limit one's rubber choices.

(Noticed it's wearing a Pete's sticker on the seat tube. I wonder if they're the ones responsible for mounting the front fender...backwards.)

Last edited:
I don't know about that--I have TWO of 'em. Well...one is a Speedster and the other a Varsity, but they are among my favorite Schwinn frames. Kinda on the small side for a big guy like me, tho.

Yours isn't wearing the dreaded ISO 597 tire, is it? Those S-6 hoops can severely limit one's rubber choices.

(Noticed it's wearing a Pete's sticker on the seat tube. I wonder if they're the ones responsible for mounting the front fender...backwards.)

It has 24" rims. I haven't really looked into my tire choices yet. The fender is really loose. Check out the attached pic. It's fender is the same way
f79ef99eaa1bd4fa8c08531bd0f817e0.png

Odd. Maybe that's how they did them, but I'd expect the ducktail to be on the trailing edge, not the leading one.

24" rims makes it sound like a youth bike. Both my camelbacks are full-size adult bikes--26"/597 & 27"/630, respectively. Your rims may be smaller, but at least you'll enjoy a wider variety of tire choices.

Odd. Maybe that's how they did them, but I'd expect the ducktail to be on the trailing edge, not the leading one.

24" rims makes it sound like a youth bike. Both my camelbacks are full-size adult bikes--26"/597 & 27"/630, respectively. Your rims may be smaller, but at least you'll enjoy a wider variety of tire choices.

Banana seat and some big bars should be fun :)

Latest posts

Back