1979 Bassett Cruiser...Cal Custom style

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Howdy fellas. Thought I'd share my latest bike build. It's not exactly a "rat rod", more like a Cal Custom or SoCal Strandie but it's a 26" cruiser so maybe some of you can dig it. I come from a BMX background so that should make my parts choices make more sense. It may look like just another looptail beach cruiser...but it's rockin' a 1968 Sachs Torpedo Duomatic 2-speed kickback hub. She can cruise....and she can haul the mail. :wink:

Frame: 1979 Bassett 26" Star Cruiser
Fork: Bassett 26" full chromoly forks
Bars: VDC cruiser bars w/original stickers
Stem: early Tuf Neck "Patent Pending"
Cranks: Takagi 180 with sealed BB
Pedals: KKT Lightning
Spider: gold Sugino alloy
Chainring: Sugino 41
Bolts: Sugino
Chain: KMC
Seat: Vintage Schwinn Mesinger
Seatpost: fluted twisty
Clamp: Tuf Neck
Hoops:NOS Araya 7x
Hubs: front NOS 1st gen Sunshine sealed/rear fresh 1968 Sachs Torpedo Duomatic 2 speed kickback
Spokes: DT Stainless Steel
Tires: Cheng Shin cruiser
Grips: Ame motocross waffle

CIMG0049.jpg

CIMG0043.jpg

CIMG0046.jpg

CIMG0056.jpg

CIMG0057.jpg

CIMG0059.jpg

Awesome bike, love that style. I've got a "star cruiser" also. Jamis manufactured mine. But yours is way cool. Thanks for posting it. Your pictures will go straight to my screen saver. Thanks, Gary

CHAMPION123 said:
Awesome bike, love that style. I've got a "star cruiser" also. Jamis manufactured mine. But yours is way cool. Thanks for posting it. Your pictures will go straight to my screen saver. Thanks, Gary

Thanks man!

I know the Jamis Star Cruiser, totally different than the Bassett but I love those too! I saw one recently cruisin' the Strand in Redondo Beach. It was a rusty survivor and cool as heck! 8)

cman said:
Top notch build. Was something welded to the frame at one time or is that a repair.?

Bassett is most known for making custom boat headers. All their headers come with a welded ID plate. In the late 70's Bassett decided to make bikes so he could cruise through the pits at the boat races and they welded their ID plated to the lower left side of the down tubes. Starting around 1980 until 1983, Bassett manufactured BMX bikes as well.

Here's a badge on a stripped frame.

CIMG0004-4.jpg

Rat Rod said:
I'd even be happy to get the ladies version of one of these. :D

Me too! I've been looking for one for my lady to ride, I only know where one is and it's not for sale.

In the mean time, my girl cruises on this S&S ladies Newport. Still looking for some minty blue Araya hoops for this bike. 8)

CIMG0006-1.jpg

CIMG0002.jpg

CIMG0003.jpg

CIMG0005-1.jpg

CIMG0004-3.jpg

Ryan, you could ship that Bassett to Nebraska if you want. We don't see to many of those around here. I really need one of those. Totally awsome piece of bike history. Thanks, Gary

CHAMPION123 said:
Ryan, you could ship that Bassett to Nebraska if you want. We don't see to many of those around here. I really need one of those. Totally awsome piece of bike history. Thanks, Gary

Most likely won't be parting with this one anytime soon. :wink:

I don't see too many here in CA either. I know they're around, just tough to find...

Latest posts

Back