1969 Schwinn Fastback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleanup

A Schwinn Fastback I had as a kid has been a big influence on a couple of the bikes I've built. I recently decided to try and find one to replace the Fastback that was now long gone. I almost immediately found an exact duplicate: a 1971, Kool Yellow, 3-speed. This isn't that bike. The deal on the '71 just wasn't right but, in the process I found this '69 and couldn't pass it up.

Over the last month I've disassembled, cleaned everything down to each nut and bolt, greased, and re-assembled. A lot of fun. I tried to do a gentle cleaning keeping as much of each surface finish as possible. Kind of amusing to me, considering the amount of work, that in the before and after images below you have to look pretty close to tell a difference. Guess I managed to pull off a gentle cleaning!

It appears to me to be original. I've replaced the cables with NOS items and the Nov70 rear & Nov72 front dated tires with reproductions. The cables looked in rougher condition to me than the rest of the bike and the tires weren't in ridable condition. I also swapped out the brake pads for available modern pads. The seat looks pretty good with only one small tear on the side and a pin hole on the top. The silver mylar strips have separated from the vinyl and are missing except for a few small spots still holding on. I plan to get a "riding saddle" and put the original in a safe place. The chrome is a little scratched up from a previous owners steel wool cleanup. But, it is what it is and overall in good shape.

I had a few questions that I posted on a Schwinn-centric forum but didn't get a huge response. I'll re-post the ones I still have below. If anyone sees anything that doesn't look quite right please let me know. Interested in trying to learn as much about the bike and Fastbacks as possible.

As purchased
01_driveSideView_69schwinnfastback.jpg

After cleanup
04_driveSideViewPost_69schwinnfastback.jpg

05_frontAndBackViewsPost_69schwinnfastback.jpg

06_nondriveSideViewPost_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Before cleanup
07_bottomBracket_69schwinnfastback.jpg

After cleanup
08_bottomBracketPost_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Before
09_derailluer_69schwinnfastback.jpg

After
10_derailluerPost_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Before
11_shifter_69schwinnfastback.jpg

After
12_shifterPost_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Before
13_shifter_69schwinnfastback.jpg

After
14_shifter_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Before
15_frontCaliper_69schwinnfastback.jpg

After
16_frontCaliperPost_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Before
17_rearCaliper_69schwinnfastback.jpg

After
18_rearCaliperPost_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Date Codes

For fun I documented all the date codes I was aware of during the cleanup. Serial number shows an August 1969 build date for the frame. Other dates fall within what could be expected on that frame (from what I've been able to find). There was a question on the stamping on the end of the fork. Not sure if that is an actual date stamp or not.

Frame serial number
01_serialNumberAugust1969_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Fork 8+9 date stamp?
02_rightFork_8+9_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Stem casting date
03_barStem_69_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Handlebar date stamp
04_handlebar02_7893-69_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Crank casting date
05_crank_SW1368_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Questions

One of the big questions I had about original components were the brakes. The front calipers have the Gold "Schwinn Approved with Six Stars" disc, "Schwinn Approved" and "TYPE LS 2.8" casting marks. The rear calipers have the red "Weinmann" disc and "TYPE 810" casting marks. Both front and rear have "BRAKE MADE IN SWITZERLAND BY WEINMANN" stamped on one of the calipers, on the back side. Not sure if both kinds would have been used on the same build.

Front caliper
03_frontCaliper_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Rear caliper
02_rearCaliper_69schwinnfastback.jpg

Don't know about the hubs and if they have date stampings. The front hub is stamped 2 69. The rear hub is stamped with a "G". The rear wheel had some issues when I first purchased it too. The wheel had been trued centered to the hub instead of the axle. As a result it was about a 1/4 inch off center and had to be re-trued. The rear rim is also missing the "SCHWINN TUBULAR S-5" stamping. Based on tire wear and rim side / brake pad wear this bike has left more than a few skids along the way. I suspect that maybe the rear wheel had been replaced early in it's life but haven't been able to confirm.

Front hub
04_frontHubDetail02_69schwinnfastBack.jpg

Rear Hub
05_rearHubDetail01_69schwinnfastBack.jpg

I'm still unsure of this even though I received some feedback that it was damage. Seems that most images of Fastback's show a dimple on the rear fender. Can't imagine how a fender could be dimpled that way unless it was intentional.

01_fenderDimple_69schwinnfasback.jpg

Thats a great looking bike that I would be proud to have in my collection. Personally I never have any real issue with replaced or replacing tires, inner tubes, cables and housings or brake pads because as a kid I did a lot of that. Of course some purists take issue, but only when buying it from you.

Thats a great looking bike that I would be proud to have in my collection. Personally I never have any real issue with replaced or replacing tires, inner tubes, cables and housings or brake pads because as a kid I did a lot of that. Of course some purists take issue, but only when buying it from you.

Thanks. This one is a keeper and I plan to ride it. Rides too nice not to! Some of the parts had to be replaced to be rideable. I tried to document it as well as I could and kept everything I removed. Not so much for the purists but to preserve its history as much as possible. I’ve chopped up some really nice bikes in past. Figured I was past due to take a preservationists approach. Felt this one deserved it.

Latest posts

Back