1968 Columbia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this bike on Saturday. As far as I know its an all original 1968 Columbia. The number stamped on the frame reads S236765. Anyone know the model or any other info on this bike? I've been searching the net and can't find much.
ModelS2367651968.jpg

Hey Redge,

You must be in the DFW area. :mrgreen:

Very cool bike...it's screamin for a new set of white walls or all white tires.

I take it you saw it listed on craigslist.
Weren't those Schwinn Varsity's you just picked up on craigslist too? I swore I saw them on there.

Anyways I killed the rear tire during my ride Sunday night. Since they are original, they're so dry rotted that they are cracking apart everywhere. I'm definitely planning on getting some whitewalls for it. I think I need new wheels too as the rear was rubbing the fender at the back once it was pumped full of air. That rear wheel might be warped.

I'm open to any ideas and suggestions.

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out what model this bike is, so any help there would be appreciated.

I was curious as to the model of your bicycle as well. Looks like it could be a Rambler. check out this photo I saw on Ebay and lemme know what you think. He has it listed as a Rambler. Doesn't have the rack in the back, or the headlight though. Also your bike is definiatly made in 1968 look at the 5th listing from the bottom, on the 2nd link I posted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Columbia-Vintage-Ra ... dZViewItem

http://www.oldroads.com/co_sn.asp

Yup I saw that ebay posting too and it got me thinking my bike might be some variation of that Rambler. The differences are that I've got chrome fenders, a rack, a tank, the seat post of the frame has different decals and the paint scheme is slightly different. Everything else looks to be the same right down to the chain guard.

I wanted to figure out the exact model mainly because I want to find a replacement tank(mines falling apart), but I'll probably have to get a different tank all together.

Hey Redge,

Yep....the Varsitys I bought were off the CL. Just about everything I have purchased has come from there.

Hope you got a good deal on that bike. The guy has been listing it out there for a year. Just goes to show that persistence pays off!

You should be able to find just about anything you need on Saturday at the swap meet in Bedford if you go. You're rear wheel just may need truing..hard to say though.

A great local shop for parts and stuff is Bicycle Exchange on Broadway in old downtown Carrollton. They are an old Schwinn dealer and carry lot's of cruiser stuff. Ask for Mitch if you ever go....tell him you found them here.

I paid $140 for the bike. I don't know how good or bad a deal that is, but its the most I was willing to pay for it. That bike pictured above sold for $650, so I'd like to think I got an alright deal.

Would truing fix a wheel that might slightly be an oval, as opposed to just wobbly? It doesnt look ovaled but its acting that way. A section of the wheel protrudes the tire into the rear fender lip right at the tail every revolution.

I might just look for a better set of wheels at the swapmeet because the coaster brake barely works and it might be worth just getting a replacement wheel with hub.

I'll be at the swapmeet around 9 or 10. Just look for a guy that doesn't know what he's doing and wearing a Camaro Z28 shirt.

I think you did pretty good on that bike. Seems like the guy started off with some price like $250 or something a year ago. Glad to hear that you didn't pay that for it.

I'd just look for another coaster wheel at the swap meet. By the time you paid to have that one trued and the hub rebuilt you could buy a brand new wheel from the LBS.

I'm not sure what I'll bring to the swap meet. Part me me wants to clean out the garage and make a few bucks and another part of me doesn't want to mess with it all, ha ha.

I will be bringing some RRB shirts to sell.

Steve

Latest posts

Back