1967 Schwinn Fastback (Class 1): Completed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot some color today. I kept the top portion of the steer tube original. The bottom half is the new color. Not a great photo, but they match pretty darn close.

ZNCbGK.jpg

EDNggg.jpg

I'm having a seat dilemma.

First, I cut and attached the first pad.
PDaOGT.jpg

Then I shaped it a little so the second pad would lay on it better.
fs9CUY.jpg

Then I glued on the second pad.
xIGYnQ.jpg

I shaped that a bit, then I wrapped it in the dacron.
Z82MDl.jpg

This is where I started getting in trouble. I don't think I was supposed to wrap and glue it this far over. It only gives the dacron for the cover to grab.
ynxT6S.jpg

So I trimmed it around those edges to give the cover something to grab. So I started to install the cover.
DxpGMv.jpg

I'm lost. I pulled it tight at all 4 corners, glued and clipped. Then I started gluing down a side, then pulling it tight on the other side and gluing and clipping. This is where I stopped. There is so much on the front I don't know what to do with it, and the rear looks like it's going to be a mess as well.

Any ideas on how to move forward?

You'll need to trim some material so the cover stops short of the top of the pan. I get the front stretched and folded around the nose. I like to use clothes pins so you can do a bit at a time. Once that's looking decent I do the back and then stretch the sides tight last to get the cover to follow the curve of the seat.

Watch some upholstery vids to see how to fold the vinyl around a corner.

Paint looks good!

I think I have it all done. I'm going to let it set over night, then I'll cut off the excess and squeeze that lower pan on. One thing I noticed is that with the second pad plus the dacron, it's really thick. We'll see how it looks when it's all done.

I tore apart a couple seats this weekend. This was an old krate seat. Schwinn used a glued pad then a wrap using some type of low density PU upholstery foam. There were plastic "edge guards" over the front and back end edges as well. (to not rip the material?) Not sure how the methods changed over the years.
IMG_4267.JPG

Here is a couple pics showing how they folded the vinyl.
IMG_4263.JPG

Those are folds not cuts
IMG_4262.JPG
IMG_4259.JPG

Mine looks like a nightmare compared to that. @Chad T , how did you cut through to put the installation grommets through? I tried to drill in to make the holes for the tag rivets, and the Dacron just gets wound up in the drill bit. I'll be the same thing happens on the sides.

I first poke through with something sharp and then use different sized phillips head screw drivers starting with a small one and working my way up to the largest. This helps align the existing holes in the 2 pans as well.

index.php

I put on all the water based decals last night. They came out really well. I let them dry for a day. Threw the frame in the stand tonight, got the head badge and cups in. I forgot to look to see how that little kickstand triangle piece went in there, so I'm going to have to figure that out. Anyone know?

zWUY5A.jpg

I5Vm4G.jpg

Paint looks great! Not bad on the seat for your first attempt. It does take some practice. I think the sprag (another new word for you) goes in with the little notch towards the bottom like you have it oriented in the pic. Should be able to verify that by sticking the kickstand in it and looking at where it stops.

I finished it up tonight, but the sun was already down, so I'll take final pictures tomorrow. Here's a preview.

UNpkhn.jpg
I would say that you have achieved the goal of a beautiful new 1967 Fastback. Nice!

I finished it up tonight, but the sun was already down, so I'll take final pictures tomorrow. Here's a preview.

UNpkhn.jpg
Outstanding Crash, that' a beautiful job as always!

I tore apart a couple seats this weekend. This was an old krate seat. Schwinn used a glued pad then a wrap using some type of low density PU upholstery foam. There were plastic "edge guards" over the front and back end edges as well. (to not rip the material?) Not sure how the methods changed over the years.
View attachment 64902

Here is a couple pics showing how they folded the vinyl.
View attachment 64903
Those are folds not cuts
View attachment 64904 View attachment 64905
I've been told that they somehow heat pressed them into the pan when they assembled the seats, not sure if that's true or not but it might explain how the folds are so flat and tight if they did have a heat form shaped like the banana seats?

Nice to see a Schwinn getting the CRASH treatment....she's looking super fresh...:thumbsup:

I've been told that they somehow heat pressed them into the pan when they assembled the seats, not sure if that's true or not but it might explain how the folds are so flat and tight if they did have a heat form shaped like the banana seats?

I've always thought that they did something like that. Would be interesting to find someone who did the seats at Schwinn. I've never noticed any glue on the vinyl taking apart an old one. Just on the foam.

Latest posts

Back