1963 Columbia Firebolt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Just wanted to start build thread on my Firebolt project. I first saw a picture of one of these bikes years ago, and said to myself that one day i would like to have one of those. Seemed like out of all the bike that pop up on this site and the bay never a Firebolt. Then one one came up on this site. I may have overpaid for it not sure, but that is OK, now I can probably overspend on building it up. Plans are to keep for the most part stock with modern wheels and tires. Frame itself is very straight and solid. Original forks had bent steer tube so bad I not use. Replacement forks from Rafael and Chainguard from Ebay ready to take to powder coater this week. Going to have either a decal or stencil made for logo on Chainguard. Going to be sending some 1980 Schwinn rims to IND-Chuck to be relaced. Not sure on tires just yet 26x2.125 might be the biggest tire I could fit in rear triangle without issues. if any has any suggestion for some White Letter tires please chime in. Thick Slicks are the really only thing that come to mind and easy to get. Just a thought will probably throw some Whitewalls on it. Going to find something close to stock style handlebars and of course some of Ian's Coke bottle grips.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg

Enough yakking on to the pictures. Hope you enjoy following the build.

One of my favorite frames.

If you want tire lettering, treadwear can custom make whatever you want. But it's not cheap at all.

Gonna look killer! Frame and chainguard really pop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a new decal for chainguard being made at local sign shop, frame and forks dropped off at powder coater yesterday. Will post pictures early next week.

FIREBOLT !!! SWEETNESS :rockout:

2.125 is the biggest you will fit and your wheels better be true. If not, you will have rubbing.
There is a columbia newsboy that has the same frame but takes 3'' tires. Harder to find.

Got a new decal for chainguard being made at local sign shop, frame and forks dropped off at powder coater yesterday. Will post pictures early next week.

Ok man , gotta ask what color you goin with on this ?

Rafael

2.125 is the biggest you will fit and your wheels better be true. If not, you will have rubbing.
There is a columbia newsboy that has the same frame but takes 3'' tires. Harder to find.
Yes had pretty much come to that conclusion on tire size, toying with the idea of a set of Thick Slick seeing that they are 26x2.0

The first one of this style of frame I saw was on a local CL, and was the Columbia Newsboy version. I dismissed it at first as odd...then kept going back to it as it grew on me more and more. By the time I'd fallen for it completely, and gave a call...it was sold. Now I can kick myself twice as much for a) missing out for $125 complete bike -and now- b) that it would take a 3" tire...

:headbang:

Great info though...thanks!
Jason

7.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
Update time got back from powder this afternoon, buffed and polished headset cups and replaced little plastic pieces that fill holes in front and rear of rack. Got them a Lowes for a buck a piece also installed chainguard decal. Will install headset and bottom bracket over the next day or so. Here are some more pictures.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back