1962 Monark El Camino

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
62_Monark--El_Camino.jpg

Built by Huffy with a Bendix single speed coaster brake.

Done absolutely nothing with it yet. Needs new tires, slight wheel adjustments, otherwise okay mechanically.
Silkscreened details enough intact for repaint reference, but only artifacts of the headtube and seatpost decals.

diggin the monark! untill 5 minutes ago i was unaware they were huffy built (and that definatly is), but thats the cool thing about this place... ya learn something new everyday. did you figure its a 62' from the ser#?

roadmaster said:
diggin the monark! untill 5 minutes ago i was unaware they were huffy built (and that definatly is), but thats the cool thing about this place... ya learn something new everyday. did you figure its a 62' from the ser#?

Yeah, that's my only evidence on the date.

The owner of this one...
REDMONARK1.jpg

...posted on the Schwinn forum dating theirs as a '68.

Recognizing that to be the original seat, I don't see any difference but the chainring.

diggin the monark! untill 5 minutes ago i was unaware they were huffy built (
Monark struck a deal with Huffman, and they took over Monark production for 1958. Those later bikes are sometimes called "Huffarks" by collectors. They also had leftover parts to use up, so some of the earlier bikes have old school Monark sprockets and chainguards, etc. Also, Monark/Silver King made 'Rotomatic' lawn mowers, chainsaws, and 'motor bikes' according to mid 50s ads reprinted in the Monark book. Huffy made mowers too, but Monark kept making their own in their Chicago factory. ~Adam

My blue Monark Thunderbird:

100_1106.jpg

and the one pictured above and now below:
REDMONARK1.jpg

is mine as well......its in pieces right now waiting for paint.

And yes....they were made by Huffy for Monark.

RZ94 said:
and the one pictured above and now below is mine as well......
Fancy meeting you here. :wink:
RZ94 said:
its in pieces right now waiting for paint.
Sanded yet or just disassembled? I have in mind to photograph, digitally touch up and document the silkscreened details.
Only got enough left of the decals to identify and reconstruct from another source--but I expect they used them on other models.
Monark-Decal-Artifact.jpg

Just partially disassembled right now......don't have the funds to continue until I flip a few others first!

Another '60's Huffy w/an automotive name...I learn something every day...
There's Camaro, Corvair, Eldorado, Avanti, Galaxie, Thunderbird, GTO, more I can't recall & probably even more I don't know about...

Another '60's Huffy w/an automotive name...I learn something every day...
There's Camaro, Corvair, Eldorado, Avanti, Galaxie, Thunderbird, GTO, more I can't recall & probably even more I don't know about...
Belair and Fury are two more... :mrgreen: ~Adam

this is when id post the pict of my 61-64' jc higgins (huffy built) with a ser# starting with a W (W61......), with the same features as all of ya'lls, but my wife "reconfigured" "our" computer and can't get into my photobucket. :cry:

Just finished this 1968 Monark El Camino a few weeks ago.....

before:

REDMONARK6.jpg

after, decided to leave the original paint alone:
P1310008.jpg

P2090006.jpg

I have one of these too, but realy only the frame and chainguard, and my chainguard is in pretty bad shape. I'm missing the all important tank. If any one has an El Camino tank for sale I'd love to buy it. Actually, I would also be interested in a good chainguard as well, or even better yet a complete bike?? Any Help???
Thanks

I have a complete (except for the plastic light housing) blue & white girls El Camino that is virtually identical to my Blue Thunderbird posted above except it is NOT a twin bar top tube.

All original, blue frame, fenders, chainguard. White & blue rack, white & blue tank. Drop center wheels with a Bendix Red Band hub. Original seat is white, the cover is shot. If interested, pm me for pics.....it's next in line for me to go through if you're not interested. Rack, tank, chainguard, chainring are identical to the Thunderbird above.

I am still negotiating for a Monarch Thunderbird with dual top rails. The paint is in good shape and it has light tank, fenders, rack , and chainguard. The fender airplane has one broken wing. New rims and tires have been put on along with a Schwinn seat. I haven't looked at the serial number. Wish me luck.

Photo_032CF365-3CA8-F923-F8BF-C1D7BA6B4329.jpg

Photo_0713BFB1-E0CC-6288-6FE4-9E6AFAA8A0ED.jpg

Photo_44534E23-38F3-69BC-436D-53C2458E2C7B.jpg

Photo_CFEB08D1-25D5-7251-8931-9C336883205F.jpg

Latest posts

Back