1962 AMF Roadmaster Sky Rider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I'd make a build thread for this one, since it'll probably be a winter project and take awhile to put together.

Here's what I'm starting out with. I have original handlebars, jsut not in the pic.

P_20201113_163134.jpg

Unsure if I wanna keep the colour+patina or sandblast it....again. Bike seems to of been sandblasted and repainted entirely at some point in its life but judging by the rust, it's had the paint for a while. I kinda like how it is now though. I'll be transplanting wheels and springer fork off another bike for this one. Though I'll need to widen the 110mm rear spacing to fit the 120mm Nexus 3spd hub. Did it for my current bike, hated doing it..lol.

I've also found a tank for it on eBay, which is currently on its way to me, chrome with most the lettering still intact. I think I'll need to find a seat post collar for it too, as it's missing. Also on the hunt for a replacement crankset, as this one is twisted and has a pedal welded in.

Looks like a great project.

That frame didn't use a seat collar. Those early AMFs had a seatpost that tightened like a handlebar stem, with a bolt and wedge. You tighten the post then put the seat on. It has a small notch on the frame but a collar won't work on that.
1606464103794.png

I had a couple of those frames, the seat stem wasn't that long like this pic, so it was kind of limited. If I had one today, I would get a (13/16ths size?) post and a handlebar stem, then cut a slant in the bottom of the the post to match the handlebar stem to take the wedge. Then get a longer bolt if needed to tighten the post. Unless you can find one of those seat posts of course.

Maybe the seatpost has slid down inside the frame.

Looks like a great project.

That frame didn't use a seat collar. Those early AMFs had a seatpost that tightened like a handlebar stem, with a bolt and wedge. You tighten the post then put the seat on. It has a small notch on the frame but a collar won't work on that.
View attachment 144854

I had a couple of those frames, the seat stem wasn't that long like this pic, so it was kind of limited. If I had one today, I would get a (13/16ths size?) post and a handlebar stem, then cut a slant in the bottom of the the post to match the handlebar stem to take the wedge. Then get a longer bolt if needed to tighten the post. Unless you can find one of those seat posts of course.

Maybe the seatpost has slid down inside the frame.

Hm, I'll have to check inside for a seat post, next time I'm in the garage. I thought it was kinda funny looking, honestly, has 2 notches instead of the usual long cut out to compress around the post. it seemed odd but didn't think much of it. I'll add a seat post to my list of needed parts, lol. May also try that trick, If I've got stuff for one one lying around. Thanks.

That also seems like a similar setup to a few niche bespoke type bikes. Might be able to find one that fits, as another option.

So, measured the seat post tube with a caliper, got a rough measurement of 21mm., seem right for this frame?

On another note, tank came today. I also dissasembled and removed 95% of the parts from the frame. I'll do what I can, without a set of cranks or seat post....which isn't much, will mainly be cleaning up most the frame and bearings.

P_20201127_213236.jpg

I did a test fit, just to make sure, fits super nice. May or may not keep the STP decals. I don't know if it'll pull the Sky Rider logo off with them...

P_20201128_134849.jpg

First time I've seen wingnuts used to hold fenders on...luckily nothing was rusted in place on this bike, so it all came apart pretty well.

I plan on using steel rod or tubing and making some handles and attach them using the holes on the side of the rear rack, so I can add on panniers/saddlebags.

Also for this being a (most likeley)resprayed frame, it looks pretty good...

With these wide peaked fenders, I should be able to fit in some chunkier tires than the 2.125 Duro diamonds I have now.

PS: What would you even call this colour? Gasoline green? Seafoam Green?

P_20201129_151415.jpg

P_20201129_151809.jpg
P_20201129_151717.jpg
P_20201129_151604.jpg

Teal? But faded?
largo-teal-1553196275.jpg

Maybe turquoise
turquoise-color-shades-3172-colorswall.png

Don't get me started on color, I have several textbooks (and nightmares) left from college. You wouldn't believe how not fun a coloring book can be

Colour was part of the reason I bought it, along with the art deco styled chainguard and star sprocket. It just kinda screamed "Atomic Age" to me.

So, been doing some Ebay surfing for potential parts (searching CWC, AMF and other terms), trying to find cranks and seat post....I stumbled up on this Shelby Airflow chainguard, same one as mine.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm gonna test on the backside of the chainguard and see if there's actually chrome under the paint, if there is, I think it'd look good, with the tank. Might even go two tone like above....if there's chrome...that is. But I'm kinda thinking not.

I'll probably wipe down the frame as well, clean it and probably cover it in some boiled linseed oil, while it's all apart.

I first thought that may have been a replacement chain guard, but I saw a few pics of other AMFs with the same guard, although they were older models.

This Shelby style guard was somewhat common on AMF bikes, not always chromed though.
Pale petrol blue does actually sound close. Or pale stone green.
Lovely bike. I really mean it :)

This Shelby style guard was somewhat common on AMF bikes, not always chromed though.
Pale petrol blue does actually sound close. Or pale stone green.
Lovely bike. I really mean it :)

Thanks!

Well, I tracked down a 13/16'' quill seat post, so, huzzah for that. Made by Wald. Found it by dumb luck on eBay...I was looking for "13/16'' but the listing I found it on, didn't have that measurement listed, it was just listed as a "no clamp balloon tire seat post". I messaged the seller, confirming the size of it and it was it. Shipping cost more than the post but, considering they seem to be a unicorn, I felt it was worth it.

Also, cranks may have been salvageable....got my dad to take them into work, used a hydraulic press, with them set up in a V-Block to straighten them out, as each arm was slightly bent (like someone jumped the bike). Threads in the crank arm were also fine, they just needed to be chased, after grinding off all the weld. pedal was fubar though. I'll see the cranks tomorrow.

Cranks looked like this, when I got the bike.
P_20201120_153248.jpg

P_20201120_153302.jpg

P_20201120_153034.jpg

So, my next part I wanna find is a head badge, since...it doesn't have one. I noticed my frame is lacking the mounting holes...but I'm wondering if they're just covered in paint or rust, since they're so small. I'll have to take a peek inside the headtube and find out.

Last edited:
So, my next part I wanna find is a head badge, since...it doesn't have one. I noticed my frame is lacking the mounting holes...but I'm wondering if they're just covered in paint or rust, since they're so small. I'll have to take a peek inside the headtube and find out.
Those frames often came with no badge holes. 1960's bikes used sticker instead of an actual badge. Though i can't tell you when did they switch. Another reason for having no badge mounting holes is the way their tanks were installed.
Here is another bike similar to yours in a way it is built: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/amf-roadmaster-delray.55584/

Last edited:
Those frames often came with no badge holes. 1960's bikes used sticker instead of an actual badge. Though i can't tell you when did they switch. Another reason for having no badge mounting holes is the way their tanks were installed.
Here is another bike similar to yours in a way it is built: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/amf-roadmaster-delray.55584/

I wanted a tank like that for this bike, but I'm tossing my Monarch springer on it and I don't think it would've cleared, with how far the front of the tank protrudes. So, I settled for that smaller one.

I may buy a badge and make a couple holes to pin it on with, using pics for reference on how high/low it goes on the head tube.

I know the top one is what it should have, but the bottom one just looks a bit cooler and the bottom one seems easier to find, repop wise. I can find the top one as a sticker but, I want a metal badge.

vintage-amf-roadmaster-skyrider_1_1d030dcdf4258638fdf033c4e2ebd745.jpg

9ef4b23ebfb0f492f0e23c25d02978bd.jpg

Being my bike was made in 1962, the year AMF moved production, would mine of been one of the last made in Arkansas?

I wanted a tank like that for this bike, but I'm tossing my Monarch springer on it and I don't think it would've cleared, with how far the front of the tank protrudes. So, I settled for that smaller one.

I may buy a badge and make a couple holes to pin it on with, using pics for reference on how high/low it goes on the head tube.

I know the top one is what it should have, but the bottom one just looks a bit cooler and the bottom one seems easier to find, repop wise. I can find the top one as a sticker but, I want a metal badge.

View attachment 145248
View attachment 145249

Being my bike was made in 1962, the year AMF moved production, would mine of been one of the last made in Arkansas?

Looking on ebay i see repop badges priced same as original CWC Roadmaster ones. So maybe get an older one? They look so much cooler because of the volume.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ro...336084?hash=item3dae3e7dd4:g:C6oAAOSwJiBfmhBU

Looking on ebay i see repop badges priced same as original CWC Roadmaster ones. So maybe get an older one? They look so much cooler because of the volume.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ro...336084?hash=item3dae3e7dd4:g:C6oAAOSwJiBfmhBU

I've got a couple on watch atm. Hoping maybe find one cheaper or one I'm watching to go on sale from the seller.

I also thought about using Immortan Joe's screaming skull insignia from Mad Max. I got a few pewter necklaces from AliExpress, bent one to shape, then I used spray on adhesive to mount it on another bike of mine. It's a little on the small side though.
P_20201008_163453.jpg

I know a person at the CABE who can help you sourcing CWC badge and possibly more older parts if you need. Or you can always ask at the facebook group.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Cranks got a bit better, slightly less bent. but they'll do for now, till I find a set for a decent price. Threads wern't totally knackered either but the pedal is toast, kept the pedal blocks though.

Currently watching a set of CWC cranks on eBay...$60 Canadian pesos shipped to me.

Figured I'd make a build thread for this one, since it'll probably be a winter project and take awhile to put together.

Here's what I'm starting out with. I have original handlebars, jsut not in the pic.

View attachment 144852

Unsure if I wanna keep the colour+patina or sandblast it....again. Bike seems to of been sandblasted and repainted entirely at some point in its life but judging by the rust, it's had the paint for a while. I kinda like how it is now though. I'll be transplanting wheels and springer fork off another bike for this one. Though I'll need to widen the 110mm rear spacing to fit the 120mm Nexus 3spd hub. Did it for my current bike, hated doing it..lol.

I've also found a tank for it on eBay, which is currently on its way to me, chrome with most the lettering still intact. I think I'll need to find a seat post collar for it too, as it's missing. Also on the hunt for a replacement crankset, as this one is twisted and has a pedal welded in.

Love this frame!
I think this would make for an awesome ‘Full Monty’ style chopper build.
Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love this frame!
I think this would make for an awesome ‘Full Monty’ style chopper build.
Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same, just loving this frame, it's so curvy. I plan on adding a bunch of stuff to it, lights, bell, 3spd shifter and more.

So, decided I'm not going with brown for grips+ saddle, I'm probably gonna go black. Probably gonna go for a set of coke bottle grips or torpedo grips. Saddle, I found a couple candidates to redo.

I rummaged through my parts today, found not 1 but 2 Brooks mattress saddles. The better looking white one came off a 70s womens bike and the other I yanked off a 1940s CCM with a bad spray job. I'll be using the "red" one, it's been spray painted..so a good candidate to get redone. I also have a Made in japan saddle, came off a 1970s CCMs, it's got a full metal pan to work with but, I like the rails+spring setup more on the Brooks. The Brooks is also a bigger saddle overall.

P_20201207_143725.jpg

P_20201207_143813.jpg

P_20201207_155417.jpg

Now, I've never redone a saddle. But this being a mattress saddle, I had planned on using some thin rubber material(1/8'' thick roughly) I have laying about to use as a base layer, then some foam cut to size ,shape and thickness and then the vinyl top. I'll probably drill a couple more holes along the side rails for more rivets, even out the stress points. I'd also like to add a crash rail possibly..

Can finally start some progress, picked up some Double boiled Linseed oil and steel wool, since I had run out.

P_20201208_155021.jpg

Latest posts

Back