1961 Schwinn Spitfire Barn Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New project bike I bought at an estate sale for $10. It had been in a barn for the last 30 years or so and has gathered some nice patina over time. I plan to neutralize the rust and clear coat it. Picked up the Columbia for $8 too

Also pumped to use my new work stand! No more workin on the floor! :mrgreen:

Dropped the fenders and threw some 26" mock ups on. I need to get a 26" coaster brake wheel for the rear then I will be painting them black. I like how the bigger rims fill up the forks/frame. Not sure what I am going to do for handle bars... the ones that are on there now are knee knockers for a 6'-1" guy like myself. I may be able to move the seat back with a laidback seatpost to account for this as well.

I plan on running this headlight that I converted to led. I can go into more detail later on the headlight if anyone is interested.

Picked up a parts bike today. It's a 26" 1967 Huffy Corvair, I robbed the wheels from it for the time being and eventually work on it later (it is too nice too part out in my opinion).

After some soap and water:

Wheels from the Corvair on the Spitfire.

Better lighting to come shortly and then I will be able to take better pictures.

I used some old spatulas for the wings off the back dropout. Also with the black seat.

Now here is were I need some help. Do I leave the wheels like they are and run whitewalls or do I paint the wheels black with some blackwalls? I am planning to use the black seat and black grips so I think the black wheels would tie in nicely... but I also like how the whitewalls look. Any thoughts?

Decided to run a different seat and some apes. Also started cleaning the frame with scotchbrite and glass cleaner. I was surprised by how much red came through the rust.

Latest posts

Back