Jude's finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
F596CFB7-0790-4609-840C-6882B1FAA1D4.jpeg
I’m new to the site but scored this Ross out of my neighbors trash a month or so ago.

I think it’s a 1960? Anyone know for sure?

With fresh tubes n tires and a little wd-40, the bike would work perfectly.

I know it’s not a men’s heavyweight like everyone is soft on, but I’m thinking of using this bike for a RRBO.

Thanks Rusty!

Yeah: I struck out trying to decode the serial number.

I found a ‘59 online and the bike had either a round reflector or light coming out of each side of the forward facing part of the tank. This bike just has like a round decorative silver button on each side.... I’m guessing early 60’s, but who knows.

Great catch on the chain ring. Would have never noticed.

Thanks for your input and do good!

Differences in tank/reflectors can just be trim level as well. I think the support behind the tank (from the twin top tubes to the down tube) will be your best hint as to year, as I don't think it existed in the later bikes.

Does the serial number start with an "R"? I've had a couple mid 60's Ross bikes that used the first 2 numbers as the year, after the "R".

The whole bike looks Ross, I have that same chain wheel as a souvenir from one late 50's Ross. Here's one, a Super DeLuxe (yours is a DeLuxe) no year given.
$_1.JPG

87CBB1A5-B712-44FA-BC8A-925AC45488A0.jpeg
Does the serial number start with an "R"? I've had a couple mid 60's Ross bikes that used the first 2 numbers as the year, after the "R".

The whole bike looks Ross, I have that same chain wheel as a souvenir from one late 50's Ross. Here's one, a Super DeLuxe (yours is a DeLuxe) no year given.
$_1.JPG
Thanks Wildcat!! I love this board! I actually think I couldn’t FIND the serial number!!!

Took some scrubbing and the SN was the shortest SN I’ve ever seen. Looks like a ‘62!!!

Thanks!!!

'62 is actually rather late use of the early style chain ring. Previously, I'd seen it in circa 1960 ads. It is similar to the old Shelby design, but theirs was skip tooth. -Adam

Looks like that serial number was stamped by hand, and not too well. See the R and second zero, not flush and I also think there are more numbers just lightly stamped to the left and right of the middle numbers. I agree the chain wheel is more of a 50's issue. Maybe they had some leftover?

But 62 seems about right.

Last edited:
07096DE7-37ED-4976-9E72-06C9DB9FAED0.jpeg
1EDA1CF8-EA95-4C04-8F14-36C4E038AA37.jpeg
9EF804F8-2998-4CB3-BEB5-38DAA85F0A2C.jpeg
Here’s my latest snag. I think it’s a 1960 Columbia Thunderbolt.

I wanted a junker I could take out on our monthly vintage rides that I wouldn’t have to worry about scratching up or getting muddy. (I’m soft on my 55 western flyer)

I got this bike off a central New York vintage bike enthusiast / collector. He has about 300-400 bikes. About every make in about every condition. Lots of parts as well. His pricing is always very fair, especially if you’re a fellow enthusiast.

I know the chain guard is wrong. We just pulled that out of a parts bin. -if anyone has one they would like to sell, I’ll pay a fair price for it.

I think it’s missing a rear rack and maybe a front rack with headlights.

Wheels don’t match but work fine. Tubes n tires shot.... other than that,100% functional.

Anyone got any other details on this bike they could confirm?

t 1.jpg

That frame was used for a number of years. Chain guards, tanks, lights, etc changed over the years. Different combinations resulted in different models.

If that's an 'M' starting the serial #, it's a '63, which was also the year they went to block lettering on the tanks & chain guards. -Adam
Thanks Adam!

I really appreciate it!

I’m going to start wrenching on this in a bit. -when I scrub it up, I’ll uncover that first letter!

Flightliner? We need a serial no from the rear dropout to determine the year. Nice that you have the tank and rear rack.

Nice patina and it looks fairly dent free.
Theres a bunch of serial numbers on the dropout that will help ID it. Looks like a 65 to me, just a wild guess.

that's perfection, that's what that is. Build it.
Thanks!!!!

It’s pretty sweet!! It wasn’t exactly a “cheapie” find or curbside pickup, but I paid a fair price for the bike. Not too much.

It’s got heavy, heavy patina, but no heavy rust.

There’s definitely light surface rust, very evenly distributed across the entire bike.

I’m going to tear it apart, scrub it the best I can, wipe it down with boiled linseed oil, lube it up, put it together and ride it!

My summer build off bike is getting a fresh set of new wheels, and I’m taking the gently rusted wheels off the grammaw patina bike and putting them on this. Should be a perfect match.

New tubes and tires, and we’re there! I have no idea how the headlight works or what it looks like, but I plan on fixing that. I’m guessing that may be the most challenging part of the build.

Latest posts

Back