1957 Schwinn Jaguar Mark II

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked up whats left of a Jag today
2011-02-12170457-1.jpg

Cool! I like those. I have a couple Mark II's. I think it's a '58 though, as it has a '58 seat and the shift cable and pulley is routed to go through the tank like the second year run. '57s had the shift cable above the tank and the pulley above the top bar right under the seat. Kinda awkward routing so they changed it and added a notch in the right tank half for the cable to pass through. The '57 frame was different than the '58 as it had a slightly taller seat tube with more space above the top bar to make room for the cable pulley and clamp under the seat post clamp. My green '57 is dated May '56 but there was no '56 Jag so it's an early one.
57.jpg

58MarkII.jpg

Hooch said:
the serial starts with a 7E so its probably an early 58
cool find i have one too but if your serial #starts with 7E its a '57 it can either be from august or september mine is also 7E

Sorry, it's a '58 model model that's frame was made in late '57. Like a car model year begins. The '57s were different than Hooch's bike. My serial number is "W2" which is May '56 and you know it's not a '56. The first year for Mark II's was 1957. The Jag heavyweight stopped in 1955 and there were no 1956 models before the "new" middleweight Mark II version was released for 1957.

Believe it or not, Schwinn added 1/2" to the seat post bar for 1957 as the tank was in the way for the shift cable so they moved the pulley. In '58 the pulley was back down below the top bar and the seat post tube was back to normal height. The cable runs through the tank on the '58 models instead of over the top, which is how this bike is set up. The front cable clamp on the top bar is also from a '58, designed to move the shift cable lower so it can run through the tank. On a smaller note, most '57 jags had color coordinated grips and the '58s went to white.

If you plan on putting a tank on this bike make sure it's for a '58 or newer or you'll have to notch it out at the front and bottom for cable clearance. My green one does not have the notches, my black one does.

Mike

Mike

Latest posts

Back