1957 Schwinn Corvette...value?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Father's Day to all the dads. This past week has been quite fruitful in my garage saling effots to flush out high value low asking price gems. I scored a very nice all original 1967 Schwinn Twinn, an early 60's Columbia Twosome (two tandems bought in the same development sale!), a nice aluminum Trek 1000, and Trek 730 Multitrack. Was also able to trade a 70's Sears Free Spirit 3 speed to a neighbor for a pristine 78 Raleigh Super Grand Prix with Suntour Barcons. And of course, the Corvette. I spotted it hanging in the back of the garage and was initially told it wasn't for sale by the guy having the sale who was the original owner who said he got it as a birthday gift when he was 8. Fortunately for me, his wife wanted it gone and I was glad to oblige them. From the serial # database I know it's a 57 built in August. Paint is a little spotty in areas, and the lettering on the top tube and the chain guard is gone. I think these also came originally with a Delta Ball headlight that is also missing. Other than that, I think it's all there. Appear to be original grips, fenders, rear reflector, front rack, 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub and shifter, and even the 26x1 3/4 tires.

I have seen what nicer condition versions of this go for on Ebay, I was curious what people's opinions are of a fair market value as it currently sits? I think they sell repro decals on Ebay for around $35, and there are a few Delta lights that I think are correct for $75. I'm into it for $100, and if I decid to sell it am debating if I should do a restoration or just clean it up and sell it as is. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

schwinncorvettedabikeandstools001.jpg

schwinncorvettedabikeandstools002.jpg

schwinncorvettedabikeandstools003.jpg

schwinncorvettedabikeandstools004.jpg

schwinncorvettedabikeandstools005.jpg

Great find :D Steel wool the all the chrome pieces and polish up the paint and it will look NICE :wink:

Pedals and seat are wrong and it missing the rear rack and headlight like you said. I have a nearly identical one (even the same color) but it has all the right parts and better decals. I'm asking $375 out of a retail shop and fully overhauled. I've sold Corvettes in about the same condition and level of completeness as yours for around $300.

Thanks for the input. That's a bummer about the seat, but I guess the correct one would be similar but have a bar on the back? I think that seat is probably from the 60's? Thanks for the info.

The seat also wouldn't have the "S" on it

You're not missing a rear rack. Corvettes didn't come with a rear rack, only a front. Take it to a car show and sell it to one of the Corvette guys. Lots of them have restored Schwinn Corvettes to match their Chevy Corvette. Great if you can get $300. You're in it for $100, so sell it for $200, double your money and move it on. :wink: Gary

Here's a pic of mine. Mine came with the rear rack but I guess that doesn't mean they all did.

062011112229.jpg

Thanks for the help and suggestions...that's a good idea about the car show. I am going to clean it, and I'm debating about putting on repro decals I have on the way from Ebay. I might leave them off and give them to the next owner and let him make the call. I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and hope I can find some more similar vintage bikes this summer...

Latest posts

Back