• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1956 ISETTA MONOCOUPE MICRO CAR

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In looking at all the various bikes , builds and motor bikes I thought this may be of interest to my fellow Rat Rodders

This is an Isetta Monocoup made by BMW , who made not only cars but Scooters , Airplanes and Bicycles as well

The Isetta was made in both 4 wheel and 3 wheel versions (3 wheel versions were made so they could be assigned motorbike classification for cheap insurance rates)

The car has no doors on it The front of the vehicle was the "door" which opened and the wheel pivoted forward so the rider could get out , there was also a sliding canvas roof on top that could be opened on nice days

The First Body Style mfg was a Bubble Window Version with curved Bubble Glass which is the one I am listing which is somewhat scarcer than the 2nd type made which was a sliding window version (Urkel used this type of Isetta on his TV show)

What I am listing is an almost complete Bubble Isetta minus the drive train so it is perfect for a rat rodder to restore , modify or make a unique build from it , I have seen people put everything in these from v8s to corvair air cooled motors , solar , motorcycle , and even electric pwd

These are cool little vehicles and I would consider offers on it if anyone is interested as I already have a few projects to do and would like to see it go to a good home instead of sitting in storage , if anyone decides they would like to buy it , it can be picked up in long island NY

Last edited:
3%20isetta%20front%20a.jpg

Hey late for dinner thank you for the heads up on the motor , man what a great group of guys here

its an Isetta motor and should fit in , if I did not have all the projects I am bogged down with right now I would snag it in a minute but sadly the Isetta is one of the things I have to let go right now

the Isetta I am selling had a 300 cc motor , I'll bet if someone put the 600cc in it , the car would go 90mph

Hey late for dinner thank you for the heads up on the motor , man what a great group of guys here

its an Isetta motor and should fit in , if I did not have all the projects I am bogged down with right now I would snag it in a minute but sadly the Isetta is one of the things I have to let go right now

the Isetta I am selling had a 300 cc motor , I'll bet if someone put the 600cc in it , the car would go 90mph

You're welcome for the heads up, I happened to come across it and thought it may be part of the puzzle.
Then again I just learned that Hot Rodded Isettas is actually 'a thing'!:13::cool2:

gasBMW-Isetta_zps6ef5f758.jpg

Who Knew?!:)
a05872a69d8d0f3df7edbfd2be5911c9.jpg
9306d559acae51615d87c4bee6e9a472.jpg
4580864287_5b72aae3b3_z.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool pictures and thank you for posting them , I've heard them do all sorts of things with Isettas , There is a guy that made one solar electric , there is even a guy that put a V6 air cooled chevy corvair motor in one

I see them go on ebay for crazy cake prices once in a while, restored ones for 30,000 - 40,000 or 20,000 and more for custom build Isetta's so this one would be a good start for someone to create what they want

that's why I figure the Isetta would be a good match for someone here who likes to rat rod as it's pretty much all there and even comes with a box of misc parts.

...forgot to mention that all the ones you see in the pictures are the later sliding window versions

the bubble window versions with the bubble glass are much harder to find , I think the ratio of survivor cars is 100 sliding window Isettas to 1 surviving bubble window version

reminds me of the movie "cars" ...the italian car that was the fork lifts partner....ummm...welcome to the site! :D

If I had it I would mount some forks and a face on that sucker! loololol...Thanks for the pic, love pixar.

Latest posts

Back