1955 J.C. Higgins build, a long work in progress

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of my J.C. Higgins build that has finally taken some direction. I initially stripped the frame to go with bare metal, I liked the way the brazing looked. I finally decided to primer and paint it gloss black, which looks much better. I am going with 26" wheels, I found a ridged 26" fork, welded disc tabs and make steel truss rods for it. I want it to have a board track feel to it. I am going to build moon-style wheel covers and run a single disc brake up front.
IMG_20141127_171126_zpsa4qbpq8q.jpg

IMG_20151031_121618_zps30wufdah.jpg

IMG_20151129_115306_zpsfpvbdxab.jpg

Here are some pics of my J.C. Higgins build that has finally taken some direction. I initially stripped the frame to go with bare metal, I liked the way the brazing looked. I finally decided to primer and paint it gloss black, which looks much better. I am going with 26" wheels, I found a ridged 26" fork, welded disc tabs and make steel truss rods for it. I want it to have a board track feel to it. I am going to build moon-style wheel covers and run a single disc brake up front.
IMG_20141127_171126_zpsa4qbpq8q.jpg

IMG_20151031_121618_zps30wufdah.jpg

IMG_20151129_115306_zpsfpvbdxab.jpg
Gotta love that JC Higgins frame!

Luke, thank you for the compliment. The moon discs are still a plan jumbled around in my head, but I'm thinking aluminum pizza pans would work. They make them up to 26", and for about $20 and some fabricating are a better deal than actual moon discs.

Luke, thank you for the compliment. The moon discs are still a plan jumbled around in my head, but I'm thinking aluminum pizza pans would work. They make them up to 26", and for about $20 and some fabricating are a better deal than actual moon discs.
Wow! I wouldn't mind trying a 26" pizza!

Luke.

So its finally done, I think. I passed on the moon discs, it was very difficult to make them by hand. I may try them again in the future. I went with a coaster brake wheelset, kept the truss fork, but changed the handlebars. Laid back seat post and Wrights leather saddle, big chrome fender and big yellow headlight, its a cool riding bike. It looks great too. I don't have any pics of it in the wild, just waiting in the stable.

Latest posts

Back