*1955 Huffy radiobike*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FORT WAYNE! THAT BUTE WAS IN FORT WAYNE!! IM IN FORT WAYNE!!! LUCKY DOG! love that color! and the double sided chainguard, and the double color pinstripes, and the headlight, and the....well everything about this bike. what is the yellow tube at the bottom of the tank? and which antique store was this at? LUCKY LUCKY DOG! great score! 8)

thesuicideride said:
FORT WAYNE! THAT BUTE WAS IN FORT WAYNE!! IM IN FORT WAYNE!!! LUCKY DOG! love that color! and the double sided chainguard, and the double color pinstripes, and the headlight, and the....well everything about this bike. what is the yellow tube at the bottom of the tank? and which antique store was this at? LUCKY LUCKY DOG! great score! 8)
The yellow tube on the down tube is a antenna for the radio its made of ceramic and breaks very easy

Nickinator said:
thesuicideride said:
The yellow tube on the down tube is a antenna for the radio its made of ceramic and breaks very easy

I'd be mighty tempted to install a makeshift antenna for riding purposes and leave the cermaic original behind for display only. Once the sucker breaks you'll never find another!

This is really a cool find! BUT PLEASE TREAT THE TANK AS IF IT IS ANY OTHER TUBE RADIO! If it has not been started in years, you run a very high risk for blowing a capacitor or a tube. I'd have a professional test EVERYTHING BEFORE you turn it on OR put ANY batteries in it!

Nice bike! I've never seen anything quite like it. Congrats on the great find!

Congrats on finding the Huffy Holy Grail! If you find a Dial a Ride I think I am going to quit looking.

Awesome

love the bike. rare find in a great color. congrats

Antique Electronic Supply in Tempe, AZ is a good source
for tube radio parts. You really do want to cautious powering
up an old tube radio that hasn't been used in years.

Since it's battery powered you may not have to worry about
filter capacitors, but coupling capacitors get leaky and
can cook your power tube, also the output transformer
gets rusty laminations or moisture trapped inside and goes
up in a puff of smoke. Definitely power the radio up outside
of the tank so you don't damage the paint if something
unpleasant occurs.

Truly a fantasy bike, beautiful!

Sweet bike. Did yours come with a set of keys? Apparently they all use the same key. I've been looking for a picture of one to get one cut.

lowindo said:
Sweet bike. Did yours come with a set of keys? Apparently they all use the same key. I've been looking for a picture of one to get one cut.

Never got the keys owner says he lost then 2 months after geting the bike lol

I gotcha. I fabbed one up enough to get it into the switch without damaging it, but it doesn't turn.

Any recent pics of the bike? Ever get new tires or grips? Did you get anymore info on the paint scheme of the tank? It almost looks like the top layer of original paint for the dials faded off or something but its weird that's usually from sunlight and the rest of the bike doesn't look faded. Not even the pinstripes and its both sides of the tank not just one.

After looking closer I would say that is exactly what is going on with it. Either by sun or buffing the top layer of paint is gone. How they applied the decals is first the tank is painted green. Then the white is painted on and finally the red is painted on. So anything that was originally red is now the white that was underneath the red and anything that was white is now green that was underneath.

I have a coca cola sign from the early 50's that was in the sun and the exact same thing happened.

So it is original paint but its not in perfect original condition. Still its a great bike and in nicer shape than mine.

Here is my coke sign as I found it.

20120626_071053.jpg

And the exact same sign in mint condition

4427835722_6f5b5a7580_z.jpg

You can see how the original layer faded off and what was hiding under that top layer is now left. Its very odd but it does happen. Hope this clears up things a little bit.

Here are two pictures the first one is from spring ann arbor when I brought it. The next one is
this summers annual pen cycle swap meet that I won best in show at with it about a month ago.
bikes104.jpg

attachment-5-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back