1953 Schwinn Black Phantom now with pics!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I got it!!! My neighbor has had this bike since it was brand new and her deceased husband used to ride it. I probably paid more than what I'd have liked to but I have a Phantom!!!!

It has some light rust on the tank and springer and I'll probably have them rechromed eventually, I'm going to have have to have someone paint it because I dont want to screw it up! This might the the last bike I work on if it comes out right! hahaha, pictures up soon, I've already started working on some of the small things and will probably ride it around over the next few weeks before the winter weather hits!

I know the train is missing from the pics but I have it! I had to order a repop lense and a new taillight.... I gotta get fenders too.... I almost feel like I'm not building this one as much as reviving it from death and greedy kids.

Re: 1953 Schwinn Black Phantom

nice find but......

ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg

Re: 1953 Schwinn Black Phantom

wow guys, I got the bike monday, went to Jay-Z that night had to sleep it off all day yest! Ill get pics asap!

I am a bit annoyed with what I paid for it but I almost felt like I had to save this bike from this woman's greedy kids....I was around when they were discussing it and it was ridiculas! I'm gonna save it and not part it out just for the cash.

thanks GSC, I actually pull the bike fully apart (minus crank and pedals) gonna start working on it asap.... I'm super excited abotu the possibilities but scared of the cost! I gotta find a painter and striper now! Thanks!

Just curious as to why you'd want to repaint that? It's got most of it's original paint left on in, and it's only original once. There's a ton of repainted Phantoms out there, why join them?

It really is faded and doesnt look right, I'm gonna start with some of the smaller stuff first and kind of go from there. The tank has to get repainted. I started working on the train light paint (was peeling off). I'm gonna do that rack, the frame is last with the chainguard. I figure with the amount of money/time I'm gonna have in this bike i want it looking as good as I can. I know money isn't everything i just feel weird about this kind of money considering I only spend 100 bucks MOST on a bike that I have to do this kind of work on.

My 53 was just a frame when I got it, paint all gone. It's a Meteor, but I put a tank and springer on it and I'm set. Looks like yours is one fast bike, they must have had it up to 50mph when the speedo gave out. Post up pics as you get it going.

Forget repainting...kills the value and your wallet all at once.

Rubbing compound will work miracles on Schwinn paint.

I normally use a good polish and Charmin toilet paper. (It won't scratch it) Just take your time and don't rush.

Cool, I do like seeing an old bike stay together, unless it's a girl's bike! :lol: I hear ya on justifying the cost! I just spent the most $ on a bike yet for my new Wasp, but I'm still under $500, so not totally nuts-YET! :lol: -Adam

I'm still under that price bracket too but I had to get some parts that made it worse! I had to get fenders, tail light and lense for train light..... cannot wait!

Oh and I cleaned the bike up this afternoon so no paint for me!!! (except train light, and tank both paints are completly gone/really crappy)

more pics as soon as I get the new parts! Thanks for all the kind words I'm so excited I could explode!!!

Latest posts

Back