1952 BF Goodrich Schwinn Phantom Indiana find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad likes to go auctions here and there so being a bicycle guy I told him to look out for old bikes for me. Every now and again I'll get a call about something he finds but it's usually some junker bike from the 70's or earlier , well one time he did find me a Krate parts bike but usually 90% it's junk. Lastnight around 1130 ha calls me saying there's this old green bike with a tank and how high do I want to go on it. Told him a number and low and behold he got it for alot less than I told him to go. I was bidding blind I didn't know what it was at the time but I went for it. Welp he comes by and what do you know it's a freaking Schwimm Phantom =O !!!! Oh man I was excited I couldn't wait to get it in the house !!!! I gave it a quik look over text'd my buddy "pullinlines" told him what was sitting in my front room and he ran the serial numbers for me and he thinks it's a 1952 built in oct on 17th- 20th whick happens to be his Bday ! lol It was late so I went back to bed I had to work the next day. Man I couldn't sleep for anything LOL. My first classic !! I'm still just as excited over it ! I don't really plan on selling it and defintally NOT going to part it out but I am going to clean her up and make a rider out of it for now ! Everything seems to be there and org but I'm not a Schwinn guy or anything so that's not 100%. The only parts that are real badly rusted or not usable are the rims from sitting on the ground for 40 years. The rear rim is rusted through the sidewall of the rim and the front is pertty bad also but besides that it's in decent shape. So my plans are new rims and tires and a clean up and regreasing ! Heck even the tubes and tires are org to the bike ! The owners brother was there and told my dad he use to call it the "Green Hornet" . Well enough rambling here are the pictures !!!

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

Edited to add

Correct me if I'm wrong on the year or it being complete. Any info or details you can tell me would be awesome !!!!
the serial number is F11136 on the rear leftside by the dropout.

Sorry for the double post for some reason I can't edit my first post again .. (idk) If you want better pictures let me know. I would love to know more about the bike , like options it could have came with, maybe where it was built, etc . A value would be nice to but I don't really care much right now. Like I said I want to clean her up then regrease it and put it back together as a rider unless you guys think I should leave it as is. I would love to do a full restore but I don't have the time and the price of getting that done would probably be crazy high ! I would told to use a brass brush and chrome polish on the rust also to use WD40 to clean up the paint. I'm going to soak the chain and such. What advice do you guys have ? I'm so pumped I can't stand it ! At the same time tho I'm scared to hurt it tho. I want to be gental as possible while cleaning her up !

Lol I agree Crash it does go well with the green doesn't it. I don't really like.cream tires at all but I think a dirty pair would set it off nicely but as I said I want to keep it close to stock as possible so white walls it is ! But yeah man that's my plan !

Justride the key is for the fork. If you look on the back of the springer under the steertube there is alock for the fork. Mine didn't have the key =(

I have a set of brand new, hardly ridden (less than 4 miles), yet slightly yellowing white walls on my wife's bike. They are about 4 years old. I'd trade for a brand new bright set if you're interested.

Nah shipping would kill it for me. I'd rather buy a pair at the LBS and dirty them up and save some coin. If you were close tho I"d take you up on that. Just picked me up some new brass brushes today and some chrome polish. I'm about to go to town on it tonight ! =) Aslo anybodu know what's missing from the bike or not org to it. The owner's brother said everything on it is how it was bought new but I'm curious , I thought it had a light on the front fender and the rear rack. It does have a rear reflector intact on it .

Great find! :D That Schwinn chrome and paint will clean right up :wink: Don't forget to post pics when it's done 8)

The fenders look like replacements as it should have had a fender light. The rear rack would have had a light mounted under it but other then that it looks complet. Nice find and it pays to have extra eyes out there looking for you. I can't tell you how many times it has worked for me. Matt

MBblue6 said:
The fenders look like replacements as it should have had a fender light. The rear rack would have had a light mounted under it but other then that it looks complet. Nice find and it pays to have extra eyes out there looking for you. I can't tell you how many times it has worked for me. Matt

Thanks for the information man and yeah it totally does !!!

That0neGuy said:
MBblue6 said:

Thanks for the information man and yeah it totally does !!!

MBblue6, yeah you are right man! it pays to have some extra eyes out there as some of my bikes came from someone else' tip.
and you also answered what's on my mind about the fenders, i was also looking for holes for the front light.

That0neGuy, hey man, keep it as it is, just clean up the rust and make it a rider. looks awesome as it is.

Latest posts

Back