1950 Columbia, the Big Nuts Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it! Good composition, great background and the contrast is right on... But, um, what's the deal with the seat (or lack thereof?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this would be very tedious but I've seen chains with tiny nuts and bolts used as master link pins. How about replacing every single pin in the chain with nuts & bolts? I don't think that would be very rideable but for a show bike, wow.

big nuts, little nuts.

I know this would be very tedious but I've seen chains with tiny nuts and bolts used as master link pins. How about replacing every single pin in the chain with nuts & bolts? I don't think that would be very rideable but for a show bike, wow.

big nuts, little nuts.
I have researched that same idea for a build I was working on, You cant actually buy bolts the right size unless you get them special made... Or at least that was what I was told...

Luke.

Bolts like below would be better than bolts that are threaded the full length. The chain would be rideable that way without the links smashing down the threads and wearing every thing out really fast. It would be a matter of finding bolts the exact correct diameter and length. Too short and the nuts would squeeze in on the links. Too thin and the extra slop would mean the chains would not mesh well on the sprockets. Too fat and you would have to drill out every link (ugh). Too long, not such a big problem. And of course different brands and models of chains have different pin sizes. To custom make bolts that tiny would be challenge too. Those guys who make tiny and operational replicas of infernal combustion engines would have the skills & tools. If you made the bolts the exact same diameter as the existing pins, they could be pressed in and the nuts would be mostly for show.
images

a variation, home made tank tracks using chains:

882238dadde02c12b418fd2650259a3f.jpg

How do you sit ? It looks like a grip on the pliers is it? I love my bikes, but that's a bit too intimate for me.

I love everything else about, especially the picture!

I have researched that same idea for a build I was working on, You cant actually buy bolts the right size unless you get them special made... Or at least that was what I was told...

Luke.
this is starting to look like a thread jack , but i actually had a similar idea the other day ,using the proper size chain and just make it look wider with the bolt/nuts ..sad to hear their is no proper sized bolts to do this
Sans%20titre_zpsnyuf5k7i.jpg

Latest posts

Back